AbelCam Forum
Download AbelCam buy Pro

Welcome Anonymous User
05/04/2024 - 06:10 AM
Quick Search:
Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

Can't add more than two plug and play USB2.0 webcam’s ?
By: GormH
Topics: 24
Added: 10/23/2010 - 09:12 AM

I have problems to install more than two plug and play USB2.0 webcam’s of same type. When installing no. 3 it not works in Abelcam. Even when not the same identify driver on the USB port. I try 3 different webcam brands but same problem. If install older type with own driver it works as no. 3 and up. Have any ideas?, If try other webcam software than Abelcam all cam's works. I run win7 32bit. B.rgds Gorm
By: sse
Topics: 73
Added: 10/23/2010 - 10:47 AM

Many people use more than two cams. This may be a problem with drivers or usb bandwidth.
Send me your debug log and I'll have a look.
Added: 11/01/2010 - 08:56 AM

I try now with Abelcam ver. 3 and 4 version. Four different PC’s , two with windows 7 32 bit and two with XP SP3 and with 3 different USB webcam driverless and 2 other USB webcam with separate driver. Total 9 webcams I have tested. Still same problem. I think is it just not possible to run more than 2 driver-less webcams of newer model at the same time. I think because the new webcam’s they are making has a chip built in driver who conflict the USB port. Just need to say it is not brand name webcams but the problems are also on laptops with build in webcam. I hope you can test it out yourself.
Added: 11/04/2010 - 09:02 AM

Except me, Has anyone other try to run more than 2 pcs. USB 2.0 webcam of a newer model in Abelcam ?. One with build in OS. Personally I try many different setup, PC’s with Atom, Pentium and Centurion processor with XP and Windows 7 with no luck. 3 different brand USB 2.0 webcam. I will be very happy if any can try out and maybe have more luck. I'm in a state of giving up now. Huh?
Added: 11/08/2010 - 07:01 AM

I found out now the newer model of USB Webcams each use between 31 and 48 % bandwidth and the USB controller system reserve itself 20%. So only 80% left. In windows 7 I try to reduce system bandwidth so can run 3 webcam but it seems only possible to change in XP. Anyway, Abelcam cannot run more than 2 webcam of newer models on one USB controller. Only solution I try was to install additional USB controller board for every 2 webcam and then OK. If any other solutions I be happy to now.
By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 11/08/2010 - 01:00 PM

I can't really help you with Windows 7 since I'v stayed with XP for my AbelCam machines here at home. In XP, I did try limiting bandwidth of Logitech cams (OrbitAF and OrbitMP) but was not happy with the results - the USB driver would forget the settings at every reboot and I would have to remember to reset it all manually.

Since the machine has several USB controllers on-board, I finally just got a couple powered hubs, plugged one hub into a port on the front of the case and one into a port on the back. Thus each hub is on a different controller. Put a few cams on each hub -> works good enough for my needs.

Note that I run most of my cams at 320x240 res, and none of them are set for >5 FPS. These settings are "easy" on the USB controller and the CPU. I realize these settings are not good enough for some applications but for me they are okay.
By: DaveDp
Topics: 10
Added: 11/22/2010 - 12:17 PM

GormH's note about USB bandwidth is very relevant and is a reminder that just because you have several USB ports you can't assume that you can connect several cameras and expect them to work at full spec.

Apart from the enormous amount of processing power required (typically 3GHz+ and preferably 5GHz) to run four webcams, you should aim to have each camera on a separate root USB hub (i.e. a hub connected directly to the expansion bus). Many computers have more than one hub - often one serving the ports on the rear of the cabinet and a second serving the ports on the front panel.

Also, it is not the number of USB controllers that is important but the number of root hubs. Generally there is a 1:1 relatioonship but some controllers support more than one root hub.
It is important to note that you can't count an external USB hub - all they do is expand the number of ports available, not the bandwidth. You can check how many root hubs you have in Device Manager.

If you want to maintain full speed for the video streams you should may need to install additional USB PCI cards and use just one port from each card.