Quick Search:
Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

PC Screen Capture
By: SeanGa
Topics: 15
Added: 06/14/2010 - 11:44 PM

I've noticed some of the demo "cameras" you can play with online show the desktop of a PC. Is there a driver or plug-in I can get my hands on to enable this feature?
Added: 06/15/2010 - 12:06 AM

I found it... under the Web Server basic config. Is there a "setup" like you do for other cameras so I can get motion detection and a camera save directory for the pc capture?

- I'm looking to capture *anyone* using the PC, authenticated in as different users. Windows 7, with UAM. Possible>

- Anybody hacked RealVNC or TightVNC to do something similar?
By: sse
Topics: 73
Added: 06/15/2010 - 09:35 PM

To be exact, the Screen capture checkbox is in Configuration/Options.

There is no motion detection and saving - but this could be added in future versions if required.

As AbelCam can't run as a service on Windows 7, setting it up to capture anyone is not possible.

I was looking at integrating XXvnc in AbelCam, mainly to remote control it's settings, but vnc has issues with access rights in Windows Vista and up as well.

Probably for what you need it would make sense to write a different software, a screen capture and save service, possibly with motion detection or intervals based on the logged in user.

By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 06/15/2010 - 10:07 PM

Once upon a time I had some "screen device" software that would let me add the screen as an actual "camera" in AbelCam. You (SSE) were the one who told me where to find it. All I can remember now is that it was freeware from a Russian guy. This was a long time ago... but I'm thinking that since it made the screen act like a "camera" then all AbelCam features available for a normal camera would be available on this "screen cam".

Maybe this would be of some use for Sean's application?
By: sse
Topics: 73
Added: 06/16/2010 - 07:25 PM

The free driver was from Vladimir Hmelyoff, http://www.hmelyoff.com, but he seems to have sold the packet.

It still seems to be available from here, if this is not a fake ( virus scan recommended...)
Added: 06/19/2010 - 06:35 PM

Thanks for the info gentlemen. I'll go check it out.
Added: 06/23/2010 - 07:27 AM

It worked! for the most part. Seems to be an issue trying to load it *after* another camera is initialized. If it's Cam0 (the very first one in the list) no problem. It the screen driver tries to initialize/load after *any* other device. (capture card, orbit, abelcam screen cap) It GPF's.

I've got a debug log if your interested. Possibly just a timing issue between device init and this older driver.

Motion detection is working great though. Thanks for the redirect.
Added: 06/23/2010 - 06:41 PM

I was digging around on my disks the other day... found out I have an older (I think - it's 2.1.3.0) version of that Russian screen cap driver saved from 2008. I played with it a little and it didn't give me any trouble at all with AbelCam 3.4.5 on XP-Pro.

I don't want to get into a big test-fest on this right now. But if you want a copy of the version I've got, either PM me an email address or contact me via the Contact Page on my "Control Stuff" site. I'll send you what I have.
By: ThomasRo
Topics: 7
Added: 12/14/2011 - 05:41 PM

I have an older installation of AbleCam that muat have some driver loaded up that enables the display of the desktop as thought it were a camera in AbleCam, but I can't remember how I enabled it.

It comes up as device "sreen" and registers as camera 99. I tried downloading the driver from Vladimir Hmelyoff that you suggested to a previous poster and it seems to work but it's not quite the sane driver. For one thing, lists ss camera 0 intead of 99 and lists a different name rather than "scree"

I also notice that he installation of the drver resulted in a newfolder in my program files folder, one that doesn't exist in myold installation.

Possibly a different verion of the drive? Ae there any other drivers out there that you know of? Being able t see the desktop along with the camera image is a critical function for me, I hate to have to give it up.

Any thoughts?
Added: 12/14/2011 - 08:18 PM

Thomas, I'm not quite sure I understand your question but I'll take a shot at an answer.

To have Cam 99 (Screen) operating you do not need to install anything. Just go to Configuration -> Options and check the box for Screen Capture. This method is sufficient for most users' needs.

On the other hand, the Hmelyoff screen driver (and others like it) are needed when you need camera-like features on your screen stream. Instead of turning on Screen Capture and using Cam 99, you install the driver into Windows and add it as a "camera" in AbelCam. This method is only used when you need motion detection or WMV streaming or other camera-like stuff on your screen stream. Most users do not need this.