Quick Search:
Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

Pro License disabled
By: SpyrithonasN
Topics: 22
Added: 01/12/2010 - 02:05 AM

I purchased Abelcam because it is stable. Once you figure out how the software is laid out, it is very useful and purposeful.

That being said, there are many things I like but a few that I really do not.

The biggest problem is if I run Abelcam without an internet connection it disables itself. This is a problem. There should be some way to stop this from happening. I understand why it is done but for me, it stops me from using software I paid for to do what I bought it to do.

I need to monitor a location where an internet connection may not always be available. The server is located remotely using an aircard for it's internet connection. If the system crashes or restarts for some other reason, then when Abelcam also restarts it will disable itself because the aircard hasn't reconnected to the internet. I am looking for a script that will auto dial the aircard but haven't found one yet. If Abelcam would at run without a connection, I could continue to record activity at the loaction.

I would also like to know what other information is being transmitted back to the developer's server and the frequency that data is sent. I believe that Abelcam transmits data periodically to the developer's site durning Abelcam's use. I think as a paying customer I should know what is being transmitted and have the option to disable that transmittal. At a minimum, this continued transmission of data after purchase should be clearly disclosed to potential customers.
By: sse
Topics: 73
Added: 01/12/2010 - 11:22 AM

The biggest problem is if I run Abelcam without an internet connection it disables itself. This is a problem. There should be some way to stop this from happening. I understand why it is done but for me, it stops me from using software I paid for to do what I bought it to do.
AbelCam runs without a internet connection if you have a Pro License.
Behaviour might be different if the internet connection is not stable. You can send me a debug log as outlined in Support, this might help me to figure out why your copy gets disabled.

Releases 2010-01-11 and up have a startup parameter to disable internet usage.
I'll contact you by email about that.

I would also like to know what other information is being transmitted back to the developer's server and the frequency that data is sent. I believe that Abelcam transmits data periodically to the developer's site during Abelcam's use. I think as a paying customer I should know what is being transmitted and have the option to disable that transmittal. At a minimum, this continued transmission of data after purchase should be clearly disclosed to potential customers.
I fully agree with you. Not only potential customers, but everyone should know what information is being transmitted.
When you started AbelCam first, you had the following message on the screen:

Thank you for using AbelCam
When you start AbelCams Web Server the program will access
the server AbelServer.Seiz.ch and transmit the following information:

- devices selected
  - AbelCam version number
  this will help us to improve the program

- AbelCam user name and email
  - AbelCam camera description and name
  - the URLs entered
  this information is needed if you want
   - a free license
   - your webcam to be listed on http://www.AbelCam.com/en/cameras

We respect your privacy!
Any and all information collected will be kept
strictly confidential and will not be sold,
reused, rented, loaned, or otherwise disclosed.

This message apears on program start until you save the settings.

As people have abused their AbelCam licenses, AbelCam resubmits this information every two hours.
This allows me to make sure licenses are used as they are intended. For that reason, not everybody
should have the option to disable data transmittal.

If you have your camera listed on the camera list, the information above is transmitted every
30 minutes to keep the list up to date.