Quick Search:
Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

Email on Motion Detection
By: MikeDs
Topics: 37
Added: 10/23/2009 - 06:46 AM

I'm a little confused on the feature of sending an email based on motion detection. There are two places that is mentioned.

1) In "Local Save" there is a "Motion Detection" with an "email on motion" button. However, in "FTP" there is a "Motion Detection" with an "email on motion" button. Do these both do the same thing?

2) If not, what is the difference?

3) Also, in both of these there is a check box for "Email only Every" and an option that only gives "hours" as an option. Is there any way to set this up so there is an email sent on motion detections for "minutes" instead of "hours"? That is, what if I need emails sent more often than every hour but not more often than, say, ever 5 minutes? Is there a way to do that?
Added: 10/23/2009 - 06:03 PM

Update: Something wierd is going on. I have tried both of these and getting mixed results.

I have tested both the local save and the FTP. But the emails are not working. They do correctly send the TEST email, so I know they are configured correctly. And I have selected the option to send on motion detection. And I have set the audio alert to notify me when the program sees motioin. I hear a motion signal, but no email is sent.

FTP never uploads a file, even though it does in test. Motion detection, though checked, never FTPs a photo, but does sound an alert. No email either.

Any clues as to what might be the problem?

By: sse
Topics: 73
Added: 10/23/2009 - 07:16 PM

See if you find any information about ftp upload on the messages window.

Check the debug option (both in the general settings and the camera configuration) which will create a log file in AbelCams configuration folder.

This file will contain more information.
Added: 10/24/2009 - 03:26 AM

Message has been edited, click here to see original content

I'm still having a problem. I have verified I have the latest version. I have verified that a TEST email can be sent and received by my system. I have setup the LocalSave and Email on motion. But there are problems.

1) I have the save interval for 14,400 (every 4 hours) but I get saved images on every motion detected.

2) And I never receive any emails.

3) Is there any way to get an email any more often than once per hour. I don't get any, but even if I did, I'd like to have them a little more often.

Here is my LocalSave setup:

Here is my Motion Detection page:

Here is my email setup, with data removed, but tested:

Shouldn't this save an image every 4 hours, AND send an email each time there is motion detected? What I actually get is no emails and saves on ever motion.

What am I missing?

Added: 10/24/2009 - 03:53 PM

Message has been edited, click here to see original content

Ok, I'm making some progress BUT there is still a problem. Perhaps this is a bug.

It appears that both LocalSave and FTP are supposed to work the same. I base this on how I find it to work. So I'm asking for confirmation on this.

1) No images are saved or FTP'd during the idle time specified
2) Images are saved every INTERVAL TIME (either locally or by FTP)
3) The image with the most motion is supposed to be saved or FTP'd
4) If there is no motion, nothing is saved or FTP'd

Is that how it's supposed to work?

5) Emails is still confusing and not working consistently.

I have gotten emails to be sent with LocalSave but NOT with FTP. Both have the same settings and were tested seperately. Both work with TEST email. However...

1) Emails configured in the LocalSave are sent everytime an image is saved, which is what I like. BUT don't seem to follow the "Email only Every X hours". For instance, I have that setting to: Email only every 1 hours. But if my testing interval is 5 minutes, an email is sent every 5 minutes. How is that setting supposed to work?

2) Emails configured in FTP motion detect are NEVER sent. It does send the test email so I know it's configured properly. Why would emails be sent for LocalSave but not using the FTP settings? Keep in mind, I have tested each of these, with the other turned off. FTP motion detection never sends emails, even though it will FTP an image.

I don't know if this matters but I'm using this on a Vista OS system

Finally the bug. The saved or FTP'd images are supposed to be the image with the most movement. However, I'm finding that's not the case. In fact, some images that are sent, are from previous intervals.

As a test, I configured the system to send various images, so I knew which image was from which interval. Then after changing the intervals a few times and going back to a very short interval, I found that the images that were being saved were from much early intervals.

There needs to be a way to flush out the image storage areas, when the server is reconfigured for a new interval, to avoid sending earlier captured images.
By: sse
Topics: 73
Added: 10/26/2009 - 05:40 PM

Thank you for reporting theses Issues.

Will test here and reply as time allows.