Quick Search:
Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

video server ports collision
By: JohnMa
Topics: 31
Added: 09/14/2009 - 07:37 AM

I have been using AbelCam for several years with one camera. Love it. Great program. Thanks very much for it. I originally used it with a Logitech MP, then upgraded to a Logitech AF.

I recently bought a license for a second camera so I could run both Logitech cameras. I now have the Logitech AF and the Logitech MP both connected to the same computer. When I try to add the second camera in AbelCam, I get an error message saying: "Video server ports collision . . ." I click OK, and then have both cameras listed, but can't get them to both work. The second camera stays off line and can't be put on line. Am I supposed to change a port setting for one of the cameras?

By the way, in answer to why I don't have my camera listed on your site, I have tried. I check the box to list it, but it never shows up on your site.
By: sse
Topics: 73
Added: 09/14/2009 - 06:43 PM

Hello John
the video server port collision should not matter as long as you don't enable the video server (WMV) on both cameras.
Try changing the port on the active camera before adding the second one.

Strange you can't get your cam(s) listed - let me know when last you tried to get listed and I'll check the logs on my end.
Added: 09/15/2009 - 07:51 AM

Is there any particular port I should change to?

If I don't enable WMV on both cameras, will I still be able to view each of them over the Internet?

I do show up in the listing now. I tried several times. Usually I get an error message about Unable to Connect Back to httP . . . . etc. After fooling around and trying it several times, the last time it seems to have connected.
Added: 09/15/2009 - 03:54 PM

The video server is required only for windows media streams.
If you don't have it on you can still get JPEG images and Motion JPEG streams from the internet.

It does not matter what port you choose, as long as it's available (not yet used) and your internet provider does not block it.

Camera list: the server on www.abelcam.com verifies that your camera(s) can be accessed from the internet, otherwise it does not make sense to have them listed. The error message you got should help you to find the reason why it was not possible to get listed.
Added: 09/16/2009 - 06:32 PM

Message has been edited, click here to see original content

Message has been edited, click here to see original content

Well, I thought I was making progress, but now I'm stuck. I was having trouble with the program crashing when running both cameras. I updated from version 3.1.0 to 3.2.0. The first I started it, I thought it was great. I was able to add the second camera. No error messages. Both showed up online. But then, something went wrong. I have it set to startup minimized to the system tray. When I click on the Abelcam icon in the tray, the program comes up with just a blue box the size of the usual Abelcam program box, but just blank blue. According to Task Manager, it says Abelcam is Not Responding. Strangely though, I am able to go online and view the camera remotely http://sunsettrail.no-ip.biz:8080/javascript/ajax.html?cam=0#. It even shows up listed on the Abelcam cameras site (Sunset Trail). The video is streaming. However PTZ doesn't work. Also, strangely, while the version on my computer shows as 3.2.0 during program startup, the remote online screen says it is 3.1.0. It looks like the setup process didn't quite finish or something. I tried re-downloading the new version, running the installation repair, but nothing changed. Not sure what to do now. Should I just uninstall it completely and start over with a new installation? If I do, I assume the configuration and license data is all still in a separate file and would still be there.
Added: 09/16/2009 - 07:15 PM

John, the 3.1.0 you were seeing is in your camera description and not in the program.

You're assuming right - reinstalling won't change your configuration.
The best way to fix that kind of problems can be found in the Solve Configuration Problems wiki page.

If nothing helps send me a debug log.
Added: 09/18/2009 - 01:21 AM

sse, Thanks very much for the time you have taken here. I know you can't afford to spend a lot of personal support time on each user and I try not to take up too much of your time.

Just to let you know, I followed the directions in renaming the Abelcam folder and then re-installed AbelCam, which did solve the problem I was having, but it also caused it to re-install without any license or configuration information, since that was all in the renamed folder. If I un-renamed the folder, the blank screen came back. So at that point, it seemed the easiest thing to do without taking up more of your support time was simply to re-enter the license and config info from scratch (which I had carefully printed out ahead of time just in case). That got everything working again.

Version 3.2.0 is a nice improvement. I was able to add both cameras and had them both working, but then the MP disappeared. I don't think this is the fault of AbleCam. It seems like maybe a driver glitch or a problem with two cameras simply overloading my computer or something. The MP just doesn't seem to want to stay detected. Sometimes, restarting the computer gets it back. Sometimes it doesn't. The most effective way to get it back is to unplug the webcam from the USB port, but I am unable to do that as I am operating the computer remotely from 3000 kilometers away using Logmein, and have no one physically present to pull the plug out. I do have a remotely controlled switch connected to the PC's on-off contacts on the motherboard, so I can remotely turn it off and on to re-boot if all else fails (which it often does).

For some reason now though, anything I do in AbelCam as far as changing settings is running very, very, slowly, which it didn't do before. I type something and then have to wait 30 seconds or so for that to show up on the screen. Logmein sometimes has a slight delay of a second or two, but not this 30 second delay. I don't seem to be getting that in other applications that I run remotely with Logmein. At first I thought it was due to having two cameras operating, but now it has lost one of them and it is still just as slow.