Quick Search:
Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

CPU @ 100%
By: JackW
Topics: 11
Added: 02/18/2009 - 01:24 AM

This is a perplexing anomaly. When ever the camera selection screen in the Admin UI is NOT displayed, my CPU pegs at 100%. When the camera select screen is displayed the CPU runs between 20% up to 80% with occasional spikes to 100%. I have tried 1 camera, both cameras, with WMV, with out WMV, running as a service, TyCapture, Visioforge, etc. ALL produce the same problem. This seems to have started about 3 or 4 releases ago. The debug logs don’t show anything out of the ordinary. The web page works fine, even the streaming with SilverLight. Love the Silverlight by the way.
Has anyone else seen this problem?
The site is MundsPark.gotdns.org
By: sse
Topics: 73
Added: 02/18/2009 - 02:40 AM

Not that I could explain from here, but what I find strange with your configuration is that you have a input resolution of 800x600 and output of 640x480 for both cameras.

In case you chose this setting to have acceptable quality when zooming, you should set input resolution to 640x480 and zooming to use driver zoom.

If problems continue, proceed as outlined in Support
Added: 02/18/2009 - 06:11 AM

Thanks. I had the input higher for the zoom as you suspected. Changing the input to match the output did help... a little. 640X480 on both.
Now with the camera select page NOT displayed, the CPU is 95% to 100%
With it displayed, the CPU is 8% to 60%.
I will keep playing in that area before I write a support ticket.
Added: 03/08/2009 - 04:03 PM

Might have found a piece of the puzzle.
One of my cams is an Orbit Sphere AF
After installing the latest drivers (11.9) My CPU was pegged at 100% all the time.
Removed 11.9 and installed 11.1, which is supposed to be the first version supporting the Orbit Sphere AF, and now the CPU runs between 20% and 40% Smile! but ONLY when the AbelCam UI is up and you are on the camera selection. If the UI is minimize of you go to another selection in the UI, e.g., Configuration, the CPU pegs at 100% Undecided and stays there until you go back to the camera selection.
Huh?
By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 03/09/2009 - 09:46 PM

Not sure what to tell you, Jack. I have several OrbitAFs and a Pro9000 running here using TyCapture for all cams. I have never had a problem like you describe. I'm currently using driver 11.8 and up until about a month ago I used 11.7. The only reason I bothered upgrading to 11.8 was false hope that maybe the AutoFocus would start working right.

Just out of curiousity, when your CPU goes high how much is used by AbelCam and how much by "System"? Driver activity is generally seen as "System".

Also, what frame rate are you running? How many cams? By turning cams on and off from within AbelCam can you isolate the problem to one particular cam?
Added: 03/10/2009 - 01:18 AM

I had a frame rate of 2 and took it down to 1. No change Undecided
No deal on one camera at a time. I have tried both by themselves and it does the same thing.Embarrassed
Just found that it is the picture in the UI that has to be showing.
This is weird…..Shocked
e.g.,
Have the UI up on Cameras. Bring Task Manager up. Along side
System Idle Process 84% - 46%
System 3% - 46%
AbleCam 6% - 70%

Now move the Task Manager over the picture in the UI.
System Idle Process 0% - 0%
System 21% - 28%
AbleCam 68% - 88%

My next step is to go back to a previous AbleCam and see what happens. I upgraded to the latest Orbit drivers and the latest AbleCam over the holidays. I know it wasn’t having the problem prior to that. I will let you know.
Thanks Cool!
Added: 03/10/2009 - 11:51 PM

That is strange. Please keep posting about this as you try different things.

Normally I put my AbelCam on the About screen and then minimize it. I have not noticed any big change in CPU when the Preview is shown (or not shown). If anything, displaying the Preview causes CPU to go up a tiny bit, as would be expected.

I don't see where you've ever said what processor and O/S you are using - might be helpful to know that. Both my AbelCam systems are running XP Pro on AMD Dual Core. One is a 4600+ and the other is a 5600+. Nothing special about either machine - they are decent but not spectacular. Neither one gets even close to 100% CPU (more like 20% - 30%) with multiple cams active.
Added: 03/13/2009 - 06:12 PM

Well, it is not the most powerful thing on the market but AbelCam is the only thing running on it.

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
1.85 gigahertz AMD Athlon XP
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
1024 Megabytes Installed Memory
Added: 03/14/2009 - 01:51 AM

Thanks for posting the system info, Jack. I think the system is quite adequate for running AbelCam with several cams. Guess we can rule that out as the source of the problem.