AbelCam Forum
Download AbelCam buy Pro

Welcome Anonymous User
04/25/2024 - 10:04 AM
Quick Search:
Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

"Abelcam 4.3.1 is running already: Abelservice" when starting service...
By: NikaL
Topics: 8
Added: 09/29/2013 - 11:47 PM

Hi all,

When I set "UserInterface = Yes" in AbelService.ini the application complains when the service is started:

Abelcam 4.3.1 is running already:
Abelservice

If I understand correctly, it should be starting the GUI, so I can configured the webcam, etc. Now I can only run it as an application to modify configuration, and I need to manually stop the service before doing so...

Any reason why?

Regards,

Nika.
By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 10/01/2013 - 03:37 PM

Are you sure it isn't already running? Remember, the default installation of AbelService sets it to Automatic Startup. Having changed mine to Manual Startup I can start and stop it without it doing any complaining.

However... I just tried setting UserInterface = Yes (I normally keep mine set to No) and it does not seem to be working right. The services starts okay and can be seen running in Task Manager but there's no GUI. Maybe Stefan can tell us what's going on here...

By: sse
Topics: 73
Added: 10/03/2013 - 08:00 AM

What operating system are you talking about?
By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 10/04/2013 - 04:14 PM

From sse:
What operating system are you talking about?

XP in my case.
Added: 10/04/2013 - 05:08 PM

I have not tested the XP version of the service for a long time,
the Windows Vista and up version is completely different and does not use the abelservice.ini file at all.

Will test XP on my end and let you know if it still works as described.
Might take some time though, not sure I have an XP computer ready to run AbelCam.
Added: 10/10/2013 - 02:34 PM

Hi all,

I didn't know the forum doesn't send notifications and hadn't seen you guys had already replied, sorry about that! Smile

Yes, I am sure it's not running already, and I am using Windows 2003 (ie. similar to XP)...

If you ever want to take a look at it remotely, let me know. I have teamviewer and gotoassist available...

Regards,

Nika.
Added: 10/10/2013 - 02:51 PM

Btw, it looks like that when I am running it as a service, it's not using the same configuration settings/folder... When accessing the configured port, the website is not available. When I stop the service, run the app, it's available again...

I've used a filemon to check which files it should read. When running abelcam.exe it reads the config from "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Seiz System Engineering\AbelCam". But when running the service I see it accessing the service only. I also tried changing the account running the service to the same account as I am using (logon account) but that didn't work either...

Regards

Nika.
Added: 10/11/2013 - 05:15 PM

I have tested on XP today, works all as it should. Once
UserInterface = Yes
is set, the GUI pops up as it should.

Now for Windows 2003 - not sure what the installer does as I never had an opportunity to install and test on Windows 2003.

Not matter if AbelCam runs as a service or not, it will always read the settings from %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Seiz System Engineering\AbelCam
Maybe on Windows 2003 as a service it does not have the rights to do so?

When running the XP style AbelCam services, you should see two processes running, one named AbelService.exe and the other AbelCam.exe

On Windows Vista and up, you don't have AbelService.exe, instead it's named AbelSvc.exe. On new newer Windows OSs you will only see one task when running as service, AbelCam.exe won't be started.

You can get notifications from the forum, but you need to subscribe to the topic Wink
Added: 10/11/2013 - 10:03 PM

Well... I am subscribed but still don't get replies. Used changedetection.com to get a notification which worked Smile nevertheless, maybe you can check why mail to my mailaddress is bounced from your mailserver?

Back on topic:

1. I have checked whether SYSTEM has rights on all folders (although I did not change anything from the default)
2. Yes, it's running AbelService.exe and AbelCam.exe
3. When checking for the port (netstat -an | find "8089") it appears fine when running it as EXE but it does not when running it as a service

So for some reason it does not correctly run as a service. Do you know what logging to check for? I don't see any logging file being "touched" when checking what files it writes to (with filemon.exe from sysinternals). Only C:\Program Files\AbelCam\AbelService.log but that file only contains some very basic logging:
10/11/2013, 22:00:59
C:\Program Files\AbelCam\AbelService.exe
C:\Program Files\AbelCam\AbelService.ini
C:\Program Files\AbelCam\AbelService.log
AbelService

Can we increase debug info?

Regards,

Nika.