Quick Search:
Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

D Link wifi cam
By: TerryDa
Topics: 7
Added: 01/09/2013 - 07:24 AM

Hi I have been using a D Link DCS5300 for years to auto put ftp pics to my website www.scillyman.co.uk I replaced it with a D Link DCS 5222L which adds a timestamp to every pic which makes them useless for pulling to a website. The cam is a wireless IP cam. AbelCam seemed the perfect answer to putting up pics but it doesn`t seem to pic up the cam and I can`t see how to direct it to the cam.
Any help please.
Regards
By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 01/10/2013 - 05:00 AM

AbelCam auto-detects cams when they appear in the Windows Device Manager (USB cams, tuner cards, etc.). It can't auto-detect IP cams because they don't appear in Device Manager. So, you have to direct it to your IP Cam.

I suggest you read through this:

http://www.abelcam.com/en/documentation/tutorial/stepbystep/show_tutorial_html?tid=3

and if you still can't get it going come back and post specifics, i.e. where things go wrong.

Finding the exact URL to get the image from the camera can be tricky. There is no single answer - every model of cam is different. If I had the same cam as you do, I'd just tell you the URL, but I don't have one. Generally the best way to find the URL is to point your browser at the "view video" web page the cam provides, then view the page source to see what URL it's using to get the video. You want either an MJPEG or JPEG "file" - can't use MP4 or the likes with AbelCam at this time.

Added: 01/12/2013 - 10:44 AM

Hi. Thanks for that, I should have been able to work that out but age is creeping up.
I now have the picture coming back to AbelCam no problem.
Now my next problem is ftping to my site.I have gone through the settings and when I test configuration it says it has succeeded and it gives the time of the latest save. But the pic is not on my website files.
I use another program to run a live stream this also has an ftp option that works but gives poor pictures and I have used exactly the same settings for AbelCam. I am not trying to use both progs at the same time so there should be no conflict.
Any suggestions?
Regards
Added: 01/12/2013 - 12:04 PM

I personally don't use the FTP features of AbelCam, but I know a lot of people do, so if it was actually broken there would be much hollering and complaining here. So let's talk about configuration...

Are you absolutely positively sure that the pix are not getting uploaded to "somewhere" on your server? Usually these "it won't upload" situations turn out to be a path config problem: the pix are uploading but going somewhere totally unexpected.

Most common cause is needing (or not needing) leading or trailing slashes in the path. Not every FTP program follows the same rules as far as what slashes it wants, what slashes it appends or prepends automatically, etc. So there is a good chance the path that works for your other program might not be exactly right for AbelCam. Best bet is to experiment with the path config in AbelCam, do upload tests while watching the file system on the FTP/Web server with an FTP client program or from a shell or whatever you prefer.
Added: 01/13/2013 - 08:38 AM

Hi. Thank you very much for your help.That seem to have done the job. All I did was to add a forward slash before the upload file ie "/picture". That now uploads and I can pick up the picture on my website. www.scillyman.co.uk and look for the Lowertown cam, during daylight hours.
Again many thanks for your help.

Regards
Added: 01/13/2013 - 09:26 AM

Glad you got it going. I visited your site at about 0815 GMT and the picture looks pretty good. Actually it's a bit gritty looking but that may be lack of light - not sure the sun is actually above the horizon there yet, plus it looks overcast.

Not sure what you do with the cam at night, but if you want it to stop doing FTP uploads during dark hours you might look at the Scheduler feature of AbelCam.

EDIT: Now it's 0825 and the picture is not gritty anymore.
Added: 01/13/2013 - 09:54 AM

Yes the weather is pretty dismal at the moment, 08.30 is about it for light. If you look at the cam info page you will see that I run off of a car battery and a solar panel. The panel struggles a bit at this time of year so I run a battery operated time switch which turns the cam off at night. Have a look at it during the summer when it is hopefully sunny and there are boats coming and going all day.
Again thanks for your help.
Regards