Quick Search:
Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

Networked computers
By: JohnMa
Topics: 31
Added: 03/28/2012 - 04:40 AM

I hooked up a second PC to my network so I have two PCs with two webcams on each. I bought a second AbelCam license for the second PC. I would like to have all of the webcams running on a single webserver, which it looks like is possible (with all four webcams showing up on the copy of AbelCam on the webserver PC?).

I found the diagram of the network on the AbelCam website here, but I didn't really see any detailed instructions for setting it up.

I guess I also need to buy a Network Agent license, but it is not obvious to me what I do with it. Is it another program that runs on one of the PCs, or is it something that plugs into one of the instances of AbelCam? Which PC do I run the network agent on (or do I run it on both).

What configuration do I do for the second PC? Do I set it up as a second web server also? I am assuming not, but I'm not sure. Do I have to give it a port number? Do I have to tell the main webserver an IP address to find the second PC?

Thanks

By: sse
Topics: 73
Added: 03/28/2012 - 06:38 PM

Hello John

I assume you're talking of the example layout

- The AbelCam Network Camera Agent (ACNCA) is a program on its own. Like a stripped down version of AbelCam.
- ACNCA supports only one camera, but multiple instances can run on one computer, each one must have its own port
- ACNCA cameras can be used as camera source in AbelCam and they do not consume a camera license
- ACNCA has no PTZ support

What configuration do I do for the second PC? Do I set it up as a second web server also?
Yes, the second computer has the same setup as the first one, including the web server configuration.

Do I have to tell the main webserver an IP address to find the second PC?
In the main AbelCam server, the camera(s) of the 2nd server are configured as IP PTZ cameras.
For the Video URL use the 2nd servers IP number and port.
You may use jpeg (http://192.168.1.2:8080/current0.jpg) or motion jpeg (http://192.168.1.2:8080/current0.mjpg)
When you use jpeg, you may throttle the frame rate used on the main server, when using motion jpeg the frame rate of the 2nd server will be used.

For the PTZ configuration use the AbelCam template, this will allow the main server to control zooming and pan/tilt on the second server.
Added: 03/29/2012 - 07:03 AM

Yes, that's the example layout I was looking at.

So, it sounds like I don't need the ACNCA network agent to use the webcams on the second server as IP PTZ cameras. Actually, it sounds like since I do want them to be PTZ, I can't use the ACNCA, as the ACNCA doesn't support PTZ.
By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 03/29/2012 - 01:15 PM

My system is set up similar to what you are wanting to do: my cams are "distributed" among a couple computers but they all end up "concentrated" on a single AbelCam webserver. As you suspected, there is no need for ACNCA when you do this.

SSE's instructions look good to me or IOW that's how I did it and I can't think of much to add.

You will need the 2 Pro licenses you already have, plus a total of 4 camera licenses. Let's say cameras 1 & 2 are connected to Computer A. Cameras 3 & 4 are connected to Computer B. Computer A will be the web server that serves all 4 cameras' streams.

On Computer B you need a Pro license (covers AbelCam itself and Camera 3) and one camera license (for Camera 4)

On Computer A you need a Pro license (covers AbelCam itself and Camera 1) and one camera license for Camera 2. But you will also need 2 camera licenses - making a total of 3 on this computer - for the IP PTZ devices you'll set up to pick up cameras 3 & 4 from Computer B's AbelCam.

Did that make any sense?? Huh? It sounds more complicated than it really is.
Added: 03/30/2012 - 01:37 AM

Thanks. I did get one of the remote cameras and the remote screen running last night.

So, if I add a camera on the remote server ("Computer B"), I need two camera licenses for it: One for Computer B, and another license to allow it as an additional IP device on the main internet server ("Computer A")?

Also, if I want to show the screen of Computer B (where I have a weather station on screen) as an IP device served to the internet by Computer A, that would also need an additional camera license on Computer A?

Added: 03/30/2012 - 10:26 AM

Correct: a cam on Computer B that's used as an IP device on Computer A consumes 1 camera license on each computer.

Unfortunately for your budget, every device you add on Computer A needs a camera license. Doesn't matter if it's a physical cam, a cam pulled from another AbelCam, or the screen / desktop feed from another AbelCam. From Computer A's point of view, a device is a device is a device... and every device needs a license.

The exception to this rule is ACNCA - you can add all the ACNCA devices you want to Computer A without camera licenses. However, ACNCA is very light on capabilities as SSE talked about above. So it's cheaper overall to use ACNCA in this situation, but you don't get any PTZ and you don't get a screen / desktop feed, so the point is actually moot for your situation.

ACNCA is essentially AbelCam Light. It costs less than AbelCam Pro. It can only handle 1 camera and no PTZ. It can be added, across the network, as a device in an AbelCam Pro without using up a camera license.
By: sse
Topics: 73
Added: 03/30/2012 - 06:38 PM

I was thinking about that a bit more, both Melvin and I left out one option:

On computer A select Add Agent and point the URL to computer B (just the main page, eg http://192.168.1.10:8080)
All active cameras on computer B will be listed.
Select one and add it "as agent". This won't consume a camera license on computer A.

Adding the camera on computer B as agent on computer A allows you to serve it to the internet through Computer A with full PTZ control.

There's no configuration on computer A for that computer -> no captions, local save or ftp upload, no image overlay.
You'll have to do all of that on computer B, but in your setup, John, this should not be a problem.

(Documentation for this option should be added...)
Added: 03/30/2012 - 10:57 PM

Overall, I don't begrude the cost of extra camera licenses. AbelCam is a great program at a very reasonable price with free upgrades forever (who else does that?) and good support. If anything it is under-priced. So a few extra camera licenses are fine. It has just taken me some experimentation to figure it out.
Added: 03/31/2012 - 12:07 AM

Good point there, SSE, about adding an AbelCam as an Agent. I've actually done that here before but it slipped my mind. When I was writing the previous post about needing 2 licenses to serve a Computer B cam to the net from Computer A I was thinking "something's not quite right about this" but couldn't put my finger on it.

This makes good sense financially as well as technically: if a user wants the convenience of having all the advanced features right there on the "server" - buy a cam license, add the remote AbelCam as an IP Cam, nice and simple. If they don't want to buy a cam license - add the remote AbelCam as an Agent, have basics + PTZ, deal with the inconvenience of having to access the remote machine to get at advanced features (or maybe they just don't need them).

I was just being humorous with the "unfortunately for you budget" remark as I realized I was about to tell John that yes, you have to buy - in essence - 2 licenses for one cam. I have no complaint about the pricing and license structure.