Quick Search:
Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

AbelCam to show TV (cable box output)
By: MikeDs
Topics: 37
Added: 03/01/2012 - 06:51 PM

I was just adding some additional cameras and noticed something I didn't recognize. Turns out it's the cable box input to my PC. So, just for fun, I added ADDED a Camera, to show the TV. Seems to work fine, except there is no audio.

I can display TV with audio on my computer so I know the connection works fine. How does one get the audio to work with AbelCam, from a TV source? Or is that even possible.

Thanks
By: sse
Topics: 73
Added: 03/02/2012 - 06:32 PM

The only way you can use audio in AbelCam is with the Windows Media Server
Added: 03/02/2012 - 08:32 PM

hmmm...

Does this answer apply only for TV or any video (with audio)?

Is Window Media Server an application I can run on Vista. OR, does it require a server OS too? Is Windows Media Server a free program?

I've googled this and find:

Windows Media Services
Windows Streaming Server
Windows Home Server

Looks like most of these require a server OS. Does this mean that AbelCam only will deliver video and audio, if one has a Windows Server OS (i.e. not home Vista, etc)?
By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 03/04/2012 - 01:21 PM

Mike, you know me by a different name (we've been emailing). Are you still having trouble with this or did the stuff I emailed (e.g. using the WMV Streaming config in AbelCam) do what you needed?
Added: 03/04/2012 - 02:46 PM

This WMV is a bit confusing. Now about the format but how to get it working with AbelCam. Does it require a Windows Server running or just "a" WMV server in AbelCam?

I assume, that since AbelCam deals with jpeg and mjpeg, that there is something in AbelCam that converts these jpegs into a WMV stream. Is that all that's meant by "server"?
Added: 03/04/2012 - 03:25 PM

This is for non-IP devices only - USB cams, TV/Capture PCI cards, and I suppose a cable box hooked up to USB. In short, anything that uses the TyCapture capture interface.

You do not need any external / extra software running. Once you have the camera (or other device) working in AbelCam, go into Config. There should be an item on the "tree" there called WMV Streaming. Select a WMV version (9 is best) and a Profile. Select audio options as appropriate from the drop-down lists. Select and fill in an unused port number. Check the box to turn on the WMV server. Save.

Let's ay your AbelCam computer is 192.168.1.100 and you chose Port 9999 in the steps above, and you're doing all this with Camera # 0. If you now launch Windows Media Player and do File -> Open URL to "mms://192.168.1.100:9999/current0.wmv" you should see your cam's video after a 10 second buffering delay.

Also, go back thru your old emails from me from Friday. One of them has a screen shot showing how to do the Config part.
Added: 03/04/2012 - 04:11 PM

Thanks, I have configured it and now have streaming WMV. Still can't get any audio.

Which profile would you suggest for web viewing? There are a ton to choose from?

You use current0. I have tried current 0, 1, 2, etc. All show the same video. What is the significance of current0.wmv at the end? Does this allwo selecting multiple cameras?

Does this also mean that there is no way to get the video, with audio, from my IP camera?

Making progress, thanks to your help. Cheesy
Added: 03/04/2012 - 07:22 PM

My mistake... when dealing with MJPEG the "0" in current0 has meaning (it is the camera number that you want a stream from). In WMV-land it is meaningless.

When you set up WMV Streaming in Config you need to use a different Port for each camera. Then in Media Player you choose the camera by choosing the port.

Example:

Cam 0 is configured to use Port 9090 for WMV Streaming.
Cam 1 is configured to use Port 9190 for WMV Streaming.
Cam 2 is configured to use Port 9290 for WMV Streaming.
Cam 3 is configured to use Port 9390 for WMV Streaming.

URL for Cam 0 is mms://192.168.1.100:9090/current.wmv
URL for Cam 1 is mms://192.168.1.100:9190/current.wmv
URL for Cam 2 is mms://192.168.1.100:9290/current.wmv
URL for Cam 3 is mms://192.168.1.100:9390/current.wmv

Audio: It looks like the WMV 9 profiles that come with AbelCam are mostly no-audio profiles. Here is a file that will be useful:

http://eeberfest.net/AbelCam/profile.zip

The zipfile contains:

TyXmas.prx - a WMV 9 profile I made that includes audio. Put it in C:\Program Files\AbelCam\data\profiles. Re-start AbelCam. Go into your cam's WMV Streaming config. Make sure WMV Version is set to 9. Then choose TyXmas as your Profile File.

WMProEdit.exe - Microsoft's own WMV Profile Editor. Lets you modify and save .prx profile files.

ProfEdit.chm - help file for the profile editor. Put it in the same directory you put WMProEdit.exe in and it should be found when you hit Help from within the editor.