Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

Nearsighted QuickCam Orbit AF
By: ScottL
Topics: 25
Added: 10/16/2011 - 02:21 AM

Message has been edited, click here to see original content

So this isn't an AbelCam question, but I'm wondering if any users have had a similar experience.

I have an Orbit AF that cannot focus clearly on distant objects, no matter how the Source driver software is set. Anyone know of a solution for this? (Yeah, I know.... buy a better cam!)

Here are two examples, taken from our house:

Far image:
http://142.30.200.101/PropertyGallery/pics/far.jpg

Close image:
http://142.30.200.101/PropertyGallery/pics/close.jpg

The close image isn't perfect, but it seems better than the far one to me.

Thanks,

Scott.
By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 10/16/2011 - 12:29 PM

None of my AFs are crystal clear but your far image does look a bit fuzzier than I get with mine. I don't know that I have anything useful to add but here are my thoughts anyway...

1) Would it be safe for me to assume that in your experiments with driver settings you have already tried turning AutoFocus OFF and manually setting the slider to a small number - perhaps even 0? 0 more or less = infinity, and I've never had good results from leaving AutoFocus turned ON.

2) It looks like the cam is looking out a window? If so does opening the window have any effect? Maybe the window glass distorts enough to affect the camera without being bad enough to see otherwise?

3) How long has this cam been looking at the outdoors? This is just an educated guess but to me it looks like the clear part of the "ball" is acrylic or polycarbonate. Neither of those plastics has good ultraviolet resistance over time. They deteriorate microscopically and eventually become visibly cloudy or yellowed from sun exposure - even from just the longer UV wavelengths that make it through window glass.

By: ScottL
Topics: 25
Added: 10/19/2011 - 09:08 PM

Hi Melvin.

All good thoughts, I think.

>>>1) Would it be safe for me to assume that in your experiments with driver settings you have already tried turning AutoFocus OFF

Yup, I've played around with auto and manual.

>>>2) It looks like the cam is looking out a window? If so does opening the window have any effect?

Didn't seem to with my old non-AF Orbit. It had a much crisper picture but the sensor eventually died.

>>>3) How long has this cam been looking at the outdoors?

Not that long, a few months perhaps.

I guess I'll just live with it. It's mostly used to let friends and family check the weather here.

Thx.