AbelCam Forum
Download AbelCam buy Pro

Welcome Anonymous User
04/25/2024 - 01:18 PM
Quick Search:
Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

SOLVED: Can I turn off the red "record on" light?
By: Churton
Topics: 11
Added: 12/24/2005 - 01:31 AM

can I turn off the red light on the front of the Logitech orbit? At night it reflects off my window.
By: sse
Topics: 73
Added: 01/12/2006 - 11:09 AM

I know of somebody who opened the cam and removed the LED...
Probably there's a way to control that LED, but Logitech won't share the information
By: AndrewT
Topics: 7
Added: 06/25/2006 - 06:48 PM

I just put black electrical masking tape on mine for a low tech answer Wink
By: KevinD
Topics: 4
Added: 06/29/2006 - 04:50 AM

LOL - that's what I did (black electrical tape)

But it would be awesome if we could programically turn it off..

--KTFA

--KTFA
By: ClintS
Topics: 0
Added: 08/14/2006 - 04:50 PM

I have an old, old, old 3Com Homeconnect and I can turn the activity light off with it. I wont sell it so dont ask. Plus it's not PTZ. I like my new Orbit simply because of the PTZ and built in MIC. But the quality of that old homeconnect out performs any webcam I've seen to date!

ExperTech
By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 08/15/2006 - 02:22 AM

I've spent quite a few hours call-tracing and doing trial-and-error DeviceIOControl calls to the Logitech driver to try and figure out how to turn that LED off. If the capability even exists to do it programatically, none of Logitechs apps are using it, and I haven't been able to stumble onto it. I kind of concluded that the LED must be hardwired to some sort of CameraActive signal.

Camera disassembly and reassembly is not all that difficult, so I've been told. You could either remove the LED or (easier) put a drop of black paint on it!
By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 05/18/2008 - 09:48 AM

Some 20 months later I have discovered at least a partial solution to kill the red LED. It requires a registry edit to accomplish.

This has been tested by me with Orbit MP and Orbit AF on WinXP using Logitech's 11.5 driver. I also tested on Win2K with various 10.x series drivers and it did NOT work. I think it's safe to say that in order to do this trick you need to be running driver 11.5 or higher, which also means you need to be running XP or Vista (in order to even install an 11.x series driver).

1) Shut down any/all software that is using your Orbit (Sphere) camera.

2) Unplug any/all Logitech cameras from your machine.

3) Run regedit, and navigate to this key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{6BDD1FC6-810F-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F}

4) Beneath this key you will find several (exact number depending on your setup) sub-keys. They will have names like "0000" and "0001" and "0002", and so on. Each one belongs to a different USB device. By examining the values contained in these keys you can figure out which one belongs to your Orbit. The value "FriendlyName" will contain an English description of the device to which the key belongs.

In the event that more than one of the keys has "FriendlyName" set to something like "QuickCam Orbit AF" then you should look at the DriverVersion values in each key to determine which one is the newest.

5) Once you have identified which of the device keys is the right one, look beneath it for a sub-key named "Settings". In Settings you should see a bunch of values, most of which begin with "LVUVC_".

6a) For AF Cameras: In Settings, find the value called "LVUVC_LEDControl". It will probably be set to 4. Change it to 0.

6b) For MP Cameras: In Settings, create a new REG DWORD value called LVUVC_LEDControl and set it to 0.

7) Repeat 4-6 for each of your Orbit/Sphere cameras.

8) Close registry editor, plug cams back in.

That's it. Next time you start your cam(s) with AbelCam (or any other program for that matter) the LED will not come on.

You could experiment with other values besides 0 and 4. 4 is "auto mode", i.e. the LED is on whenever the cam is capturing video. 0 is "totally disabled". Other values do other stuff that didn't seem very useful to me (e.g. 2 causes LED to blink while capturing).