Quick Search:
Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

Q1: Images frequently overexposed - regardless which cam
By: ChristianKa
Topics: 15
Added: 08/26/2011 - 09:28 PM

I've tried differnt cams with abelcam - but there is a strange effect: On daytime all or some images seem to be 'overexposed', at dusk, at nighttime or in the dawn everything is fine. I changed the cams, using cheap nonames or expensive ones like microsoft HD5000 - all the same!

To view select the URL:
http://www.sportbootschule-tauwerk.de/test.php
then select a date like 26.03.2011

Any suggestions?
By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 08/27/2011 - 04:33 PM

I have seen this happen with Logitech cameras - it is caused by buggy "Right Light" feature of the drivers. BUT when the Right Light fails the images are overexposed all day, every day (until you reboot) not just occasionally.

I'd blame the camera or driver... but you say you tried several different cameras. Hmmm. Not sure what to say here but I don't think it is an AbelCam bug because AbelCam doesn't perform any processing that is related to brightness or exposure.

It might help to know: Is the problem ONLY with saved images? Or can you see it in the live video stream (or maybe in recorded video) while it is happening?
By: ChristianKa
Topics: 15
Added: 08/27/2011 - 04:44 PM

I agree, this might be a general problem, not a problem with abelcam. The overexposure occurs everywhere - on liveimages as well as on saved images - the cameras seem to regulate exposure, get to the limit and gives up!?!? U find darker images as well as complete white ones. Im thinking about using a neutral grey filter as the cams are designed to be uses indoors, not at the bright sunlight - if here is any ;-) The driver of the cams is allways set to outdoors.
By: MichaelCo
Topics: 2
Added: 09/18/2011 - 08:28 PM

You mentioned you have tried many things, however, for those who aren't sure of what to try I have one tip that worked for me while troubleshooting. I found that resetting the defaults in the Logitech software settings improved the exposure significantly. In AbelCam go to Camera > Configuration under the Driver Options on right side of interface click the Source button. It should bring up the original camera driver. I hope this helps.

By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 09/19/2011 - 02:16 AM

I kind of dropped out of this thread because I didn't have solutions to offer. But I just want to add that even with no driver issues in play my various webcams do not like strong backlight (such as when the sun is low in the sky). I think it's just the nature of CCD image sensors and only my fancy still camera has enough processing built in to compensate fully.

I agree with defaulting the driver settings as a sometimes-fix. I've been through years and years of different Logitech driver versions and every single one has had some sort of exposure bug. The exact nature of the problem changes from version to version but none are perfect. With some versions it is also useful to go to the Advanced tab (on the same dialog Michael refers to above) and toggle Right Light and Auto Exposure modes off and back on a few times. For whatever reason, that will sometimes get the Gain and Shutter "un-stuck".