Quick Search:
Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

Hard Disk Acess
By: ScottL
Topics: 25
Added: 06/04/2011 - 06:01 PM

I'm wondering if something has changed with the recent version of AC that makes for persistent hard disk access.

Setup is XP Pro w. all updates, AbelCam 4.2.2, Orbit AF cam, both hardware and OS set to standby after 10 minutes, AbelCam running as service, no other apps running, Local Save and Motion Detection are off, yet the hard disk LED flashes constantly at about 1 second intervals.

Any idea why?

Thanks.
By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 06/05/2011 - 03:36 AM

If you're sure it's AbelCam that's accessing the drive it would be helpful to find out what exactly it is accessing. Microsoft's "diskmon" tool is very useful for such things:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb545046

I have had the once-a-second blink on my AbelCam + XP box for literally years - nothing has changed with recent AbelCam updates. Using "diskmon" I found out (and re-confirmed today after reading your post) that AbelCam is checking the files that contain my captions to see if they have changed. This happens because 2 of my cams use captions that come from text files (weather data that's written to files periodically by another program). If I turn off the captions - or use captions that are just typed into AbelCam rather than captions from files - then AbelCam isn't touching my disk at all.

However... the hard disk LED on that box blinks about once per second even when NO applications are running, and "diskmon" shows absolutely nothing happening. I have to assume that whatever is causing that is some part of XP that's working at a level lower than what "diskmon" can hook into. I've tried shutting down every service that can be shut down - no effect.

Come to think of it, I've never tried unplugging all the cams, which should have the effect of unloading the Orbit drivers. Might be interesting to try.
Added: 06/05/2011 - 06:43 AM

>>>Might be interesting to try.

Cool; lots to think about.

I'll start thinkin'

Scott.
Added: 06/06/2011 - 12:24 AM

Unplugging the cam reduces HD access, as indicated by the LED, to almost nothing. Reconnecting it restores HD activity when AC comes back to life, so I'd say there is a correlation.

AC keeps the computer (an old P4 2.4 Ghz) pretty busy, causing the cooling fan to run continuously and preventing standby mode.

So my goal is to keep AC running, but with as low energy consumption as possible.

I noticed that I had the input resolution (1600 X 900) set to twice that of the output res. (800 X 450). Setting them both to 800 X 450 seems to take a big load off. (Makes sense; every frame needs to be scaled.) The cooling fan stopped after a few seconds.

Any other ideas for efficiency?
Added: 06/06/2011 - 04:04 AM

I don't know much of anything about going into and out of standby mode, but I can talk knowledgeably about efficiency.

First you need to think about CPU load caused by the driver versus CPU load caused by AbelCam. Driver loading is NOT trivial. To see what I mean, go to the Performance tab in your Task Manager, hit View on the menubar, and make sure Show Kernal Time is checked on. Assuming you are only running AbelCam, you read the graph like this:

Area under the red line = driver.
Area under the green = total.
Difference between red & green = AbelCam.

You are half-right about why lowering input resolution dropped your CPU (scaling load). The other part of it is that you lowered driver load simply by reducing the size of the captured image. Note that the relationship between image size and computing power used is exponential - not just linear.

With that in mind...

Lowering input resolution reduces driver load a lot and AbelCam load a bit.

Lowering output resolution reduces AbelCam load significantly.

Turning off captions and overlays reduces AbelCam load a little bit.

Using - or not using - Flip and/or Rotate in AbelCam makes no measurable difference.

Reducing frame rate reduces both driver and AbelCam load. CPU saving is more or less linearly proportional to the reduction in frame rate. "More or less" because the drivers' frame rate is not continuously variable (typically it changes in steps of 5) so changing from 8 FPS to 6 FPS will probably not do anything, but changing from 6 FPS to 4 FPS will.

Increasing (yes, increasing) the Quality setting in AbelCam might lower CPU load a tiny bit (because AbelCam is doing less compression - maybe) but the images streaming out of AbelCam will be larger and thus eat more network bandwidth.

Bottom line - video capture and streaming is resource intensive. There always has to be a trade-off between efficiency, speed, size and quality...

Edited later to add: BTW, about the hard disk access... Today I unplugged all cams, shut down all apps, unplugged Ethernet, etc. to where there should not have been anything going on. Still saw some HDD action that registers on the LED but not in DiskMon. Hmmm. This could be 1) XP babbling for some unknown reason, 2) something to do with the PCI analog video capture cards that I did not remove, or 3) a really sneaky rootkit doing something evil (unlikely for a number of reasons).
Added: 06/06/2011 - 05:53 AM

>>>go to the Performance tab in your Task Manager, hit View on the menubar, and make sure Show Kernal Time is checked on.

Will do.

>>>Reducing frame rate reduces both driver and AbelCam load.

Is this at Cameras > Capture Device > Framerate field?

>>>Increasing (yes, increasing) the Quality setting in AbelCam might lower CPU load a tiny bit (because AbelCam is doing less compression - maybe) but the images streaming out of AbelCam will be larger and thus eat more network bandwidth.

Great tip, thanks (totally counterintuitive).

>>>Still saw some HDD action that registers on the LED but not in DiskMon. Hmmm.

Me too. Hence why I said "almost nothing". There was some sporadic traffic, but nothing like the regularity of AC while it scaled images. I tend to agree with your XP "babbling" idea.

Thanks,
Scott.
Added: 06/06/2011 - 06:46 AM

From ScottL:

Is this at Cameras > Capture Device > Framerate field?

Yes indeed.

I don't know if this would be adequate quality for your needs or not, but on my public site I run the cams at 320x240 (in & out) and 5 FPS. I have about twice the CPU horsepower as your P-4 but with those settings I idle at about 50% CPU with 10 cams running. With one web visitor connected, 65%. Additional concurrent visitors only add maybe 2% each.

My cam "mix", FWIW, is 4 Orbit AF (USB), 1 Pro9000 (USB), 2 Analog cams on PCI capture cards, and 3 Web Video (IP Cams) devices. One analog cam is 640x480 In, 320x240 Out (to implement fake PTZ) and all others are 320x240 in/out.

Me too. Hence why I said "almost nothing". There was some sporadic traffic, but nothing like the regularity of AC while it scaled images. I tend to agree with your XP "babbling" idea.

Yeah... I see something similar on another XP box here that isn't doing anything camera- or AbelCam-related. Maybe something to do with XP's delayed writes scheme.

I don't know offhand why AbelCam would want to hit the disk all the time while scaling images. Is your system low on RAM? Like maybe the swapfile is coming into play when AbelCam does a memory intensive operation like scaling those big images?
Added: 06/06/2011 - 06:56 AM

Incidentally... if efficiency is your #1 priority you might want to consider getting an IP camera instead of using a USB cam. I can't promise any particular CPU numbers, but consider that with an IP Cam there is NO driver. Thus no driver overhead and no USB overhead - and USB overhead is substantial. Most IP cams have a nice little CPU of their own, typically running a Linux kernel, so a good portion of the work is done there instead of on your PC.
Added: 06/07/2011 - 06:18 PM

>>>Incidentally... if efficiency is your #1 priority you might want to consider getting an IP camera instead of using a USB cam.

I've been thinking about this for a while, for various reasons....efficiency, distance from CPU, moveability, etc...

In this case do you use the AC agent to accept the stream? Does PTZ still work?
By: sse
Topics: 73
Added: 06/07/2011 - 07:16 PM

No, you may add IP cameras to AbelCam, for examples see this thread
PTZ is supported.

The AbelCam Network Camera Agent allows you to connect camera connected to a remote computer to your AbelCam cameras,
sort of turning a usb webcam to IP camera.
Added: 06/07/2011 - 07:17 PM

Great.

Thanks.