Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

motion detection e-mails pass test but don't actually send
By: JohnMa
Topics: 31
Added: 01/18/2011 - 06:37 AM

I'm trying to set up motion detection.
I set it up to sent me notification e-mails. I used the same e-mail information I use with another notification device, which works in the other application.

When I press the button in the configuration screen to send a test e-mail, it says the e-mail was sent to my e-mail address, but I never receive any e-mails from it.
If I change the e-mail information so that it is wrong, the test send fails, which leads me to believe that the test does work and that my information is correct.
I tried sending to two different accounts: One is the account on my ISP itself, the other is an unrelated e-mail account. Also, I did check on my ISP's website and they do say to use port 25.
So, shouldn't I actually be receiving the test e-mails in the e-mail account I have it sent to send to?
By: sse
Topics: 73
Added: 01/18/2011 - 06:15 PM

John, yes, you should be receiving the test emails in the account you have set up.

If you have debug enabled, the debug log will have log problems. However, once the test button confirms the sending of the email, the mail has been sent successfully. Maybe there's a spam filter in between?

Please verify the configuration - when you reopen the email config form, is the information there?

If the configuration is there but not processed, you'll have to stop/restart the camera to activate the configuration.

If not - you might have to enter the email configuration manually in ftp.xml for ftp motion detection or localsave.xml for local save motion detection.

I'll verify this until next fridays beta release - maybe you could let me know if the config was stored correctly.
By: JohnMa
Topics: 31
Added: 01/19/2011 - 05:23 PM

Hmmm, OK, this is really strange.

Yes, it did save the configuration. I can shut the whole program down and the e-mail info is still there when I re-start it.

But - just to be triply sure it wasn't a spam filter problem, I tried setting it to send to a third e-mail account - my gmail account, and it works!

It still doesn't work in the other two accounts. I have notifications from my other device (a Hawking "HomeRemote" gateway) sending to my university e-mail address with the same information, from the same DSL line, and it works fine. The university account rarely filters anything (academic freedom, I suppose). Also, the ISP account that is the "from" account doesn't get the message either, even though the messages are actually being sent by that ISP. Hard to imagine that it is filtering messages from itself.

So, I am getting notifications to my gmail account, including actual motion detection notifications.

I'm mystified why the notifications do not go through to the ISP (Frontier) or my university account. Also strange is that normally the gmail account (which I rarely use) forwards automatically to my university account (which is the account I normally use), but the AbleCam notifications that are going to the gmail account are not coming through forwarded to the university account. Must be a spam filter problem of some sort, but really odd.
By: sse
Topics: 73
Added: 01/19/2011 - 06:15 PM

John, I can't explain why the other two accounts swallow the email.

In case you're including the motion detection image, you might try to send email to the two accounts that don't receive the mail without the image. If that gets through then they don't like the image attachment - and I'd be very much interested how I can change the email with the image to get through...