Quick Search:
Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

On Using Skype with AbelCam for audio feed
By: RaleighMu
Topics: 24
Added: 08/31/2010 - 04:43 PM

This came from another discussion (one about "how to annoy cats") but I've found this such a simple solution I want to share it a little wider: Skype can be used as a simple means to receive an audio feed to accompany your AbelCam video feeds. I've found the Windows Media Server option to be quite slow and bandwidth intense, and this is a way to get good audio feed at low bandwidth (Skype compresses audio excellently). Bonus 1: works for both Macs and PCs. Bonus 2: Doesn't require any technical skills (as might be needed to use AbelCam's command features).

You'll have to get a "one off" AbelCam Skype account (which is free) and also have another Skype account to call the AbelCam Skype account. Remember, Skype to Skype calls are internet only and free.

1. Get Skype account for your server. Activate Skype and login.

2. Go to Skype's TOOLS then OPTIONS menu.

3. Click on START SKYPE WHEN I START WINDOWS (under the General Settings)

4. Click on CALLS then click on SHOW ADVANCED OPTIONS.

5. Set account to ANSWER INCOMING CALLS AUTOMATICALLY.

6. Set account to ALLOW CALLS FROM PEOPLE IN MY CONTACT LIST ONLY.

7. Click on SAVE.

8. From the main Skype screen, add a contact for your regular (or any other) Skype account. I set this up for only a single account (mine) so that only I can call and have my call accepted. Both accounts will have to accept each other as a contact which you should do before using this technique. You could allow multiple accounts, but 1 account means only THAT account can access the Skype/audio feed.

I ensure that Skype starts up and logs in automatically on my AbelCam box at system startup (this is in Skype's "General Settings" so that Skype is running on the AbelCam box ready to receive calls at all times.

When I want to activate the audio, I just call the Skype account on my AbelCam box, it answers automatically, and any internal or external microphones (I use an external one) will pick up the ambient audio. Access your AbelCam video feed and enjoy the full audio/video experience.

You can also use Skype this way to broadcast sound (shouting at my cats - "get off the couch!") but beware you might have feedback issues with your microphone. Probably set speakers far away from microphone.

I've found a couple of Skype users who've been able to get 100 hours of continuous connectivity, though I wouldn't rely upon that for industrial use.

With password protected access to my AbelCam web server, and Skype authorization for the audio feed, I am Big Brother.

St. Louis, Missouri, USA
By: RaleighMu
Topics: 24
Added: 09/06/2010 - 08:15 PM

Addendum: Apparently Skype is predisposed to poach on port 80 which is also the default web server port. I'm running an Apache2 server on port 80 in addition to the AbelCam server on port 8080, and Skype did hose my Apache server. There are several different fixes (I chose to change my Apache default port to something other than port 80), but be aware of this. If you're not running a web server in addition to AbelCam this will not be an issue.

St. Louis, Missouri, USA