Quick Search:
Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

Time before Keys are released
By: AllenWa
Topics: 13
Added: 08/26/2010 - 12:22 AM

I manged to crash Abelcam in security mode. My G/F Was adjusting the camera so it kept recording (manual moving it), and apparently caused an Out of Memory crash. I sent along the error report, but now when I start up Abelcam I get "No more camera licenses available" Error. How long does it take for the key to become 'free' from the crashed instance?
By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 08/26/2010 - 12:43 AM

About the crash: were you recording AVI or WMV? My experience has been that AVI eats memory (the codecs refuse to dump the video out to disk until you stop recording) and WMV does not eat memory. Curious about what you experienced.

I'm not aware of any time-outs to "free up" your keys. What you might need to do is go to the config folder (see AbelCam 'About' box for location) and delete your configuration files. Make sure you have a record of your license keys somewhere because you'll have to re-enter them after deleting config files.
Added: 08/26/2010 - 12:47 AM

From MelvinG:
About the crash: were you recording AVI or WMV? My experience has been that AVI eats memory (the codecs refuse to dump the video out to disk until you stop recording) and WMV does not eat memory. Curious about what you experienced.

I'm not aware of any time-outs to "free up" your keys. What you might need to do is go to the config folder (see AbelCam 'About' box for location) and delete your configuration files. Make sure you have a record of your license keys somewhere because you'll have to re-enter them after deleting config files.

I was recording with WMV, I was helping her so I'm not sure exactly what happened other than the "Unable to allocate memory" error from Abelcam. I had over 4GB of memory free still, it might have hit a x86 limitation. (System is running x64 w/ 8GB of memory).
Profile was HD (720p) @ 6MBPS

Going to write down my info and delete the config like you suggested.

Using debug it detects I do have a license...

18:42:39 Read config C:\ProgramData\Seiz System Engineering\AbelCam\config.xml
18:42:39 Reading C:\ProgramData\Seiz System Engineering\AbelCam files camlic*.txt
18:42:39 Starting ThreadPool Main with 5 threads
18:42:39 1 Cameras licensed
Added: 08/26/2010 - 12:52 AM

Message has been edited, click here to see original content

MelvinG ,

Thank you! Deleted the AbelCam config, re-added my license and re-added the camera. Now its working again!

Wonder what kind of bug causes this issue though.

I was under the impression the server was yelling at this 'new' instance of Abelcam telling it I had no keys left. Since the old one crashed and didn't tell the server it shut down. Guess I was wrong, and VERY Glad you answered me before I went all night with my camera down!
By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 08/26/2010 - 03:30 AM

Glad that helped. SSE is really the only one who can explain *why* that works, but it often does.

Forgot to ask: when you were recording that WMV, was your camera device interface TyCapture or VideoCapX?

I'm kinda scratching my head here trying to think how WMV recording & memory eating go together. Normal WMV output behaviour is to write a chunk out to disk (and in theory release some RAM) every few MB of video. In fact, I've actually played the beginning of a WMV while it's still open with AbelCam recording to it (don't try this at home - lol).

Good point about the x86 limitation. I'm not sure if that's right or not but it's definitely something to think about.
Added: 08/26/2010 - 02:23 PM

From MelvinG:
Glad that helped. SSE is really the only one who can explain *why* that works, but it often does.

Forgot to ask: when you were recording that WMV, was your camera device interface TyCapture or VideoCapX?

I'm kinda scratching my head here trying to think how WMV recording & memory eating go together. Normal WMV output behaviour is to write a chunk out to disk (and in theory release some RAM) every few MB of video. In fact, I've actually played the beginning of a WMV while it's still open with AbelCam recording to it (don't try this at home - lol).

Good point about the x86 limitation. I'm not sure if that's right or not but it's definitely something to think about.

Well I just got that new camera I mentioned in the previous thread, doing full HD and I was trying to keep the 15FPS rate (camera is rated for 720p @ 30FPS). Now I think I hit a limitation of the System processing power.

I checked and I did have the first 28 Seconds of the video of the camera being adjusted, so it was writing out some of it. I also noticed all the videos are a bit choppy now (fine a few seconds then skip) so I think my server can't handle the new resolution and settings.

I Know uncompressed images take up a ton of space, so I wouldn't be surprised if AbelCam has some internal buffer and wasn't expecting them to be HD sized, causing it to 'store to many for x86 memory limitations'. Maybe SSE can shed some light or even poke around at the issue, might be more common as Camera tech and CPU Tech increases rapidly.

I wouldn't mind AbelCam having a configurable buffer size, and setting it to say 6GB of my 8GB of memory (in my case)
By: sse
Topics: 73
Added: 08/26/2010 - 07:04 PM

Hello Allen

there is no buffer of that sort - allocating memory is left to .NET unless you choose to record 'pre motion detection video'.
As long as AbelCam runs in 32bit mode ( = as long as VideoCapX and VisioForge are supported), it cannot consume more than 4GB of memory.

License key logging is not a real time task. The consumed time is calculated every 30 minutes. If a AbelCam installation does not report anything, it does not have to be broken, there could also be issues with the internet connection.
That's why a key is assumed to be in use up to 2 hours after the last report.
As long as you use a key on the same computer with the same version of AbelCam you won't be locked out
unless you use a free license and you're over the 6 hours you get per day.