Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

CPU Utilization of LogiSphere
By: DennisL
Topics: 8
Added: 12/01/2005 - 04:20 AM

Hi SSE,

I realised that when i launched the logisphere, the utilization of this software is chewing up my CPU to as much as 50% of my HT 3.0ghz. Will there be future patch to reduce the cpu utilization and as well as the memory required to achieve the same performance?

Thank you and have a nice day.

Cheers,
Dennis

LogiSphere is GREAT!!!!!!
By: sse
Topics: 73
Added: 12/01/2005 - 07:00 AM

Hello Dennis

How much CPU power LogiSphere uses depends entirely on your settings.

If you want to keep CPU usage low, use the following settings:

- frame rate <= 5 (won't affect most viewers, as they can't stream faster anyway)
- picture size <= 320x240, low color depth (less data to process)
- LazyCam on (grab pictures only if requested by viewer or every five seconds)
- Video Server off
- Motion detection off
- Caption off

Now you're going to tell me, with these settings all the fun is gone.
Those are settings to lower CPU usage. The most effective way to save on CPU usage is probably the frame rate.

Let me give you two examples:

On a 800MHz PIII system LogiSphere does motion detection with 640x480 frames and a 2 seconds interval, no video server.
On that system, it uses about 50% of the CPU.

A next installation (the one providing the examples for logisphere.seiz.ch) runs on a 3GHz P4, is set to 7fps at 320x240 with video server on as well as caption on, uses 5-10% CPU when idling, never goes beyond 50% when delivering streams.

Surely I will further try to lower CPU usage, but there is not much optimization left.

Something that comes to my mind immediately are the two preview pictures on the server page.
They are updated even when the application is minimized - clearly a waste. With lazy cam activated there's not much to gain there though.

Memory on usage in dotnet application is never what it seems to be, read this article:
How much memory does my .NET application use?

By: MichaelA
Topics: 8
Added: 01/13/2006 - 04:20 PM

Message has been edited, click here to see original content

Forgive my ignorance, but why does LogiSphere require to use the CPU when nobody is using it?

It makes much more sense to trigger video/audio capturing/streaming when somebody visits the web site which requests video content.

I realize that with this suggested method may add a 1 second delay to initialize video capture and streaming, but that's worth it to people who would like to use their PC for other services as well. Plus, it wouldn't completely waste CPU cycles.

The only reason I can see that CPU cycles are required to be used consistently is during video motion detection or FTP upload.

Thanks in advance for explaining!