Quick Search:
Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

Recording videos...
By: ChristianTi
Topics: 3
Added: 04/15/2010 - 08:51 AM

Abelcam is sending video streams, but why not does it record video data and why is the motion trigger detection not existing for video?

I am really disapointed about the posiiblities, even virtualdub wiht web cam can store the streams easly.

regards

Chris

By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 04/15/2010 - 09:23 AM

It does record video with motion detection option available. For now, only the VideoCapX capture interface supports this. Soon the TyCapture interface will too.

http://www.abelcam.com/en/documentation/webcam/index_html/captureinterfaces

The Capture Interface is selected when you do Add Cam to get your camera into the device list. TyCapture is used by default. Do a Remove Cam to take your camera out of the device list. Then put it back using Add Cam again, but this time look at the bottom part of the pop-up window - there should be a listbox for choosing your capture interface. If there is NOT a listbox there, you might need to go to Config->Options, turn on "I am AbelCam Expert" and re-start AbelCam.
Added: 04/15/2010 - 11:39 AM

Message has been edited, click here to see original content

Ok!

yes, I could find the video record option with VideoCapX.
But I only get a preview picturefrom the cam. neither a motion triggered picture nor a video is recorded.
As well are the setting ltiem limit and size limit always set back to 60seconds and 20MB and activated. Why?
The enty of the camera stay orange instead of green , any reason why?
Log files says camera is doing somehting wrong while gett ing frames.

The picture is refreshing correctly but I after tr every color compression type I have no Idea what to do more.
Camera is Logitech QuickCam Express. Resolution 640x480.

Which color compression is a working ?

regards
Chris
Added: 04/16/2010 - 04:51 AM

Compression codecs: it really depends on what all has been installed on your particular system. Most of the codecs that appear in the drop-down are not appropriate for video recording, but it's kinda impossible to keep the "bad ones" out of the list because they're all in the same category in the registry. If you have a DivX codec on your system, use it. Next best would be any Intel Indeo 5.10 or higher codec. Or just go with WMV mode instead of AVI mode if that suits your needs. WMV tends to be less troublesome.

The orange indicator (etc.) is not a good sign. VideoCapX may not be wanting to work with your cam. Try again with once of the codecs I mentioned and maybe the orange indicator and rest of the problems will clear up. Or not. Hard to say. But with an inappropriate codec there's a good chance VCapX won't start -> orange indicator and errors.

FWIW - If you can be patient for a bit, there's a major overhaul of Video Save in the works right now. I can not speak for SSE as to an exact release date. But I've been in contact with him enough to believe it will be ready in days/weeks, not months/years.
Added: 04/16/2010 - 09:11 AM

Well,

meanwhile I used Virtualdub which handles the device perfectly and even if is not giving me (without third party plug-ins) access to a motion detection, I am pretty happy about the results of recording Xvid,1280x1024,30fps, segmented files.

Unfortunatly, I do not have time to wait for the next version, I need to get it working this weekend.

I know about different codecs, and that VideoCapX is not able to use them, but even with a a working codec I get a file but had a complete blue screen yesterday while recording.

Maybe streaming is a solution what worked good with MP11, and to record it on another pc, but thsi would let it all grow more than it should.

So, tanks for your help and I promise to test the next version, but meanwhile I will search for a better solution. My expectation where higher than what ablecam is able to produce for the moment.

Regards,

Chris
Added: 04/16/2010 - 10:57 AM

No problem, Chris. I freely admit that VideoCapX and its recording "capabilities" is the weakest link in the software at this time. Also it's a third-party module, so it can't readily be repaired or improved. This is a big reason why I've been talking to SSE about the whole recording subject recently and why it's high in the to-do list for the next version.

I spend a lot of time here trying to answer questions, and frankly there haven't been too many complaints about the video recording. But is that because it works for most people or is it because most people are using the software as a webcam server and not recording?? Who knows. But it has become a hot topic this year...