Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

Can't get videocapx to display a decoded image
By: SeanFi
Topics: 19
Added: 03/29/2010 - 05:54 AM

Message has been edited, click here to see original content

I have a syntek stk1160 usb 4 channel cctv dvr capture device.

I want to be able to use motion detection to record video/audio for home security purposes.

On startup it says "syntek stk1160 failed to start" yet I can hear the sound but have no preview picture (camera offline).

I keep getting error messages continuously about "many errors on frame capture". I can get a preview picture in the camera config box if I bring it up but no decoder output picture.

I really want to get the video recording set up.

Anything you can do to help??

Thanks again for a great product!!!
By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 03/29/2010 - 05:51 PM

Start with the basics... does your Syntek device work with ANY of AbelCam's capture interfaces (eg. TyCapture or VisioForge)? The answer tells us if it's a general issue with something Syntek's driver is doing or if it's VideoCapX's problem.

Note: I can't really speak for VisioForge, but I can tell you that TyCapture is built on pure DirectShow, which makes it very broadly compatible. If your device won't work with TyCapture then there's something really "off" about its drivers.
Added: 03/30/2010 - 02:34 AM

It works great with tycapture. It works fine with visioforge.

It does not work with videocapx.

I would really love to get it working with it though.
Added: 03/30/2010 - 04:02 PM

Okay then, can't blame the device Wink. When you try to use VideoCapX, does it fail even if you leave all the "extras" (video save and WMV server) turned off?

All I can really suggest at the moment is deleting the devices's configs completely (see AbelCam's About box for location of config folder) and adding/setting it up from total scratch using VideoCapX. This is a bit of a long shot, but there's always that chance that if you've switched capture interfaces a few times something got left in the config files that's okay with one interface but not okay with another.

VideoCapX is a third-party module and it definitely has some internal problems. Unfortunately, as you know, it is also the only capture interface to currently offer video recording.

I can tell you SSE is quite aware that this is not a good situation, this subject has become a hot topic (on issue tracker and in email correspondence) lately, and work is being done to solve this once and for all - probably by making video save possible with ANY capture interface, not just CapX. This is not an impossible task but it is also not trivial. I can't make any promises about when it might be finished.
Added: 04/02/2010 - 06:24 AM

Yeah it would be nice to see this issue resolved. Motion capture video would be the icing on the cake with this great program as I use it for my security system monitoring.

I may surf ebay for another video input device jsut to get this function working.

Any known cards that do work well with the video motion capture??

Added: 04/09/2010 - 05:50 AM

I've got some cheapo capture/TV cards by "KWorld Company" that work fine with VideoCapX. If you are in the Western USA maybe you have a Frys Electronics near you? That's where I got mine. Or see frys.com. My cards were about $60 I think, and they have analog capture + HDTV tuner + FM receiver on board. Got 3 of them in my site server running 24/7/365 and they don't give me any trouble.

Before you go buying stuff I should tell you: video recording for TyCapture (actually for ANY capture interface) will be ready sooner rather than later. I'm actually sitting here debugging it right now. Got a ways to go yet but it's looking promising. I can't speak for SSE as far as a date that it will be incorporated into AbelCam but I don't think it will be too much longer now.