Quick Search:
Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

Improvements of the recording/saving functions
By: MichelP
Topics: 18
Added: 12/07/2009 - 12:20 PM

The main reason I use Abelcam for, is for the saving/recording function.
I live in an appartment, and my car is always in front of the door, at the street. 1 time my car has been broken into, and 1 time my car has been vandalized.
So I increased the number of cams from 1 to 5, and start recording continious (because motion detection at night doesn't work that well). Nothing in the street happens now without that Abelcam recorded it.

AbelCam does a damn good job in taking pictures (motion based or time based) and saving them..
Abelcam saves, and saves, and saves, and keeps on saving...
Basically, it wil keep saving until the hard drive is full (wich most of the time causes Abelcam to crash at my server).

What would be nice, is a setting to manage saved pictures. I mean like with quoata or something.
With a setting you could tell Abelcam to only using 10GB per camera. When the 10GB exceeds, it could start deleting the first pictures.

Or you could tell Abelcam only to save the last 4 days. When it starts the 5th day, it deletes the first day, and so on...

What also would be nice, that Abelcam sends an email if it can't save pictures anymore for some reason (network connection with NAS gone, disk full, etc).

I've seen all these features on my Synology NAS devices (wich has an built surveillance station.

The NAS surveillance station is nice, but not as nice as AbelCam when it comes to PTZ and stuff. So I will stay with AbelCam anyway.

Do you think these features would be possible in AbelCam?
By: sse
Topics: 73
Added: 12/07/2009 - 06:48 PM

I will consider this next time I put my hands on the Local Save code Wink

It's not hard to implement, but requires a lot of controls - and some people even would want it to be documented Undecided
By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 12/07/2009 - 07:40 PM

I don't use Local Save all that much. But when I had it running here while beta testing I got tired of having to manually delete all the old saved images that accumulate. My solution was not particularly elegant but it works: I made a "shell script" (well, the WinXP equivalent of one - lol) to delete all JEPGs older than 2 days in a specific directory. In my case the directory is "c:\camstills\". Then I configured the Task Scheduler to run my script once every night.

Below is the script. It is not pretty but it does work. Modify it and use it if you want to. Paste it into Notepad and save it with .VBS file extension. .VBS extension should cause Windows to understand that the file contains a script, so it will automatically launch WSH to execute the code in the file.

dtmTargDate = date
dtmTargDate = DateAdd("d", -2, dtmTargDate)

strMonth = Month(dtmTargDate)
If Len(strMonth) = 1 Then
    strMonth = "0" & strMonth
End If

strDay = Day(dtmTargDate)
If Len(strDay) = 1 Then
    strDay = "0" & strDay
End If

strDelDate = Year(dtmTargDate)
strDelDate = strDelDate & strMonth
strDelDate = strDelDate & strDay
strDelDate = strDelDate & "000000.000000-480"

'Wscript.Echo strDelDate

strComputer = "."
Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:" _
    & "{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")

Set colFileList = objWMIService.ExecQuery _
    ("Select * From CIM_DataFile Where " & _
    "CreationDate < '" & strDelDate & "'" & _
    "AND Drive = 'C:' " & _
    "AND Path = '\\camstills\\' " & _
    "AND Extension = 'jpg'")

For Each objFile In colFileList
    objFile.Delete
Next
By: MagnusM
Topics: 7
Added: 12/27/2009 - 10:42 PM

It would also be nice to set a time schedule when the local recording should take place. Most cameras are pretty useless at night. So switching off the recording would be an option.
By: SpyrithonasN
Topics: 22
Added: 01/14/2010 - 04:13 AM

I would also like to see both of these features implemented. Wink
By: GregoryR
Topics: 20
Added: 04/25/2010 - 04:41 PM

I would really like this to be implemented also, I used to use supervisoncam a long time ago and it had all sorts of local save folder options. Basically it saved under quite a deep tree of date/day/hour. What was good about this was you could access each date quickly but also without delay, My ablecam folder had 80,000 files in it (not deleted for a while) and being so big windows explorer can't access from a network and even on the local it takes ages, often appearing to freeze & perhaps 20 minutes to delete all files. Per day would be enough. Supervisioncam also use to automatically delete the files x number of days old.
By: JeanMu
Topics: 16
Added: 05/01/2010 - 02:29 AM

Also a structure of subfolders could help, like year\month\day (2010\04\29)
Also a disk quota is what I found in the original Panasonic Software (Network Recorder)