Quick Search:
Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

Logisphere 0.9.9g released
By: sse
Topics: 73
Added: 11/04/2005 - 04:40 PM

this release is mostly to release my work load...

I had so many registrations with bogus names and bouncing email addresses that
I had to add a bit more information why a valid email address is required.

The startup text (which shows when there's no config.txt yet) now contains
a privacy notice:

We respect your privacy! Any and all information collected
will be kept strictly confidential and will not be sold
reused, rented, loaned, or otherwise disclosed

The server part (on logisphere.seiz.ch) has been improved to generate emails
which react better on the requests nature (update info, license request)

NEW you can change your email address for update info and the web site
to send your password if you have lost it) from within LogiSphere

this release also contains the latest GeoIP.dat file dated Nov 1st.

As always, the latest download can be found here:
http://logisphere.seiz.ch/en/membersonly/

This time I release this for the public as there were only minor changes
(and I have to stop those crippled requests)
so this http://logisphere.seiz.ch/download/ points to the same release
By: Churton
Topics: 11
Added: 11/08/2005 - 03:40 AM

Since this last version upgrade I cannot get the web server to start. I get an error message saying "cannot connect to logisphere.siez.ch" Is the server at logisphere down?

Also, I am confused. Why would my system need to connect to another system in order to start the web server? Why is there a dependency on another server outside of my control to run the program locally on my machine?
Added: 11/08/2005 - 06:29 AM

Hi Budd

No, the system is not down.
There are some additional tests now, maybe those required more than the 10 seconds LogiSphere waits for the request to complete.
Your system runs my software. Before you configured LogiSphere, you saw the following popup:

Whenever you start the webserver within LogiSphere
it will access the server logisphere.seiz.ch and
transmit the following information:
- devices selected
- LogiSphere version number
this will help me to improve the program
- LogiSphere user name and email
- LogiSphere camera description and name
- the URLs entered
this information is needed if you want
° a free license
° your webcam to be listed on
http://logisphere.seiz.ch/cameras

Having received many bogus names and email addresses, I had to do more extensive testing on those values delivered.
The script on logisphere.seiz.ch now has a closer look at the email address.
This requires a name resolution for your mail server entry which might take longer than expected.

When you change your settings (email address, 'request license' or 'receive update information'), you will receive
a confirmation email. This also requires some time.

I will inspect the script on my end and try to speed up things, hopefully timeouts will not happen in the future.
Also the timeout for this initial request has been set to 20 seconds, future versions will be more patient.

Does anybody else have problems with this request to the home server?

Stefan
Added: 11/09/2005 - 12:43 AM

Your system runs my software. Before you configured LogiSphere, you saw the following popup:

I'm not sure what that statement actually means... Does this mean you are granting a license to use your software ONLY if it makes the connection to the mother ship when it starts? That precludes someone from running the software on an intranet where they may want to use it for security monitoring purposes. It also causes an issue with the software not being robust enough to work when there is a disaster situation occuring and someone may be relying for the server to still send images when part of the internet is not working.

Is there a plan to remove this from the software when the user purchases it. If so. I'll purchase it now to remove that limitation. This be the case if I do not want a free license, I want a stand alone installation. And in many case, those that want to use the software will NOT want their cameras listed on another web site.

Don't get me wrong... your software is very elegant and I am very happy with it. I will most certainly purchase it when it is finally released for purchase... I am just nervous about the requirement to "phone home" before the program will run...

BTW: Just upgraded to 9.9G as I was writing this and still did not get the server to start. It still timed out. I have a static IP, a 1.5Mbs broadband connection so there really should not be too much of an issue with name resolution.

As I want to access my system through my work firewall, I have the port for my web cam set to 443... which allows me to hit it. Could this be why there is some disconnect?
Added: 11/09/2005 - 12:44 AM

Where was this pop-up again? I just reinstalled logisphere from scratch and did not see any popup with this information.
Added: 11/09/2005 - 06:18 AM

Does this mean you are granting a license to use your software ONLY if it makes the connection to the mother ship when it starts?
yes.
That precludes someone from running the software on an intranet where they may want to use it for security monitoring purposes. It also causes an issue with the software not being robust enough to work when there is a disaster situation occuring and someone may be relying for the server to still send images when part of the internet is not working.
that is correct, and I am aware of that.
Is there a plan to remove this from the software when the user purchases it. If so. I'll purchase it now to remove that limitation. This be the case if I do not want a free license, I want a stand alone installation.
Right now there's no way to get LogiSphere to run without connecting back home. This 'limitation' will be removed once it reaches 1.0 and there is a way to reliably sell licenses.
And in many case, those that want to use the software will NOT want their cameras listed on another web site.

The cameras not listed if Listed is not checked.
Don't get me wrong... your software is very elegant and I am very happy with it.
is that a testimonial I can use on the website? Smile!
I will most certainly purchase it when it is finally released for purchase...
If you donate a sum around 20€ now, you will receive a permanent license once version 1.0 released?
I am just nervous about the requirement to "phone home" before the program will run...
I do not understand what makes you nervous about that. Your webcam is password protected - nobody but you has access to it.

I have a static IP, a 1.5Mbs broadband connection so there really should not be too much of an issue with name resolution.
Do you run your own name server? The name resolution is on my end (logisphere.seiz.ch) to whoever does DNS services for you.
I assume those problems are gone by now. Please get back to me if they are still there.

As I want to access my system through my work firewall, I have the port for my web cam set to 443... which allows me to hit it. Could this be why there is some disconnect?
no, that should be no problem.
Added: 11/09/2005 - 06:25 AM

From Churton:
Where was this pop-up again? I just reinstalled logisphere from scratch and did not see any popup with this information.
rename your config.txt to e.g. config.sav, start the program and you'll see the message. You'll also see that it says
this popup apears on program start
until you save the Options.

Please let me know if you think I should be more explicit about this 'connecting back home'.
Maybe you know a more elegant way to inform users why and when this connection is made?
Added: 11/09/2005 - 12:00 PM

Don't get me wrong... your software is very elegant and I am very happy with it.

is that a testimonial I can use on the website?

Most certainly! I am very happy with it. I have shown co-workers in a hospital IS department my webcam and the GEEK factor makes them quite jealous. I have a link on my blackbery and can get a webshot of my backyard/patio anywhere I have cell phone access. It's nice to be able to scroll around the back yard. I am even considering adding a second orbit web cam in the front yard so I get a different view. Of course I would use logisphere to run the cam server.

I am just nervous about the requirement to "phone home" before the program will run...

I do not understand what makes you nervous about that. Your webcam is password protected - nobody but you has access to it.

What do you mean by password protected... there is no password prompt. Anyone that hits the site address gets the view. As for phone home... The issue is reliability for a connection when your site might be offline or for technical reasons on the net, the latency causes the cam to not start. I work with mission critical systems in a hospital... the less dependency on other systems to make something work the better. If my cam being UP has a dependency that I may not have control over 100% of the time, then that makes me nervous. I can accept this situation while the program is in development and can entirely understand why you want to reign in control... however when it goes mainstream... this dependency (as you say it will be) should be removed to aleviate this requirement.

rename your config.txt to e.g. config.sav

OK... saw the popup... must have breezed past it the first time I installed.... I never read the license info anyway... Smile

Perhaps something on there about "the web server will not start unless it is able to make this connection"... But I don't think anyone will really notice this issue unless they have connectivity problems...

I assume those problems are gone by now. Please get back to me if they are still there.

The problems seem to be gone now... I am not sure if it was renaming the config file for a moment.... I didn't edit anything, simply stopped the logisphere program, renamed it back to config.txt and restarted and now its working.

Point taken about the donation... I guess the least I should do... I just did paypal and made the donation. BTW: 20 Euros is about $24.95 american dollars.
Added: 11/09/2005 - 05:06 PM

Thank you for your answer.

What do you mean by password protected... there is no password prompt.
That is entirely up to you - you may password protect your pages if you want to. Check the help file, in the How To section you find instructions.
I can accept this situation while the program is in development and can entirely understand why you want to reign in control... however when it goes mainstream... this dependency (as you say it will be) should be removed to aleviate this requirement.
I'm glad you accept this policy.

The problems seem to be gone now... I am not sure if it was renaming the config file for a moment.... I didn't edit anything, simply stopped the logisphere program, renamed it back to config.txt and restarted and now its working.
I improved the server side - some of the processing works in the background now.

Point taken about the donation... I guess the least I should do... I just did paypal and made the donation.
Thank you. I did my part and added you to the donators page.

This thread is becoming quite long - time to start a next release Smile!
By: Norman
Topics: 28
Added: 11/20/2005 - 07:49 AM

I think the additional 10 seconds is a good idea, in the past I have had problems every so often with Logisphere not connecting to the server ontime. I found it was mostly from logisphere launching on startup while the cpu was tied up working on other startup items. A second launch of the program after everything loaded solved the issue usually.