Quick Search:
Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

Blocking an IP?
By: MelanieH
Topics: 9
Added: 05/20/2009 - 06:25 PM

I am wanting to block an ip from viewing my cam. I have tried finding a way to do this via my router & firewall with no luck.

Does anyone know another way to block an ip from accessing the camera's port?

Thanks!
Melanie
By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 05/20/2009 - 07:18 PM

I've always done it at the router (Netgear WGR614 v.4) myself. If your router allows you to configure Static Routes, you can "black hole" the offending IP by creating a static route that looks something like this:

Destination IP = (the offending IP)
Subnet Mask = 255.255.255.255
Gateway = (an IP on your LAN that does NOT exist)

If your router doesn't allow setting up static routes, well, maybe somebody else can post a solution you can actually use. Smile
By: MelanieH
Topics: 9
Added: 05/22/2009 - 06:46 PM

Thank you! I just figured out a way to block it via my firewall, was a lot of obscure steps, but did get it.

I didn't get an email notification of your reply, or I would have definitely acknowledged it sooner.
By: JoergR
Topics: 34
Added: 07/03/2009 - 05:26 PM

Melvin, would it be possible to block a complete range of ip´s by choosing a different subnet mask in your example e.g. 255.255.0.0?
Added: 07/03/2009 - 07:03 PM

It seems to me that it should work. Best to just try it and see!

Note that this technique does not prevent packets from the blocked IP from reaching your server. What it does do is send your server's replies "into a black hole". So, it effectively blocks people from viewing your cams but it is not particularly useful if you are trying to block something like a DDoS attack.
By: JoergR
Topics: 34
Added: 07/03/2009 - 11:43 PM

Ok, might be worth trying it.
In my case its for an online-model-flight-simulator where some smart guys end up in turning up smoke-effects to ruin a complete session.
Maybe its sufficient to block my packets on their way to these guys to stop them from logging in after being booted.
Added: 07/04/2009 - 08:16 AM

Yes, that should stop them. They will get nothing but time-outs (or perhaps "service unavailable") when they try to connect to your site. They definitely will not be able to use your application.

The only reason I even mentioned DDoS is because many DoS-ing strategies are based on progs that throw packets at your network and do not care if anything comes back or not. The router trick should work fine for any "attack" that is coming from a human using a browser.