Announcements
Latest Topics

Autofocus looses its function in the dark and won´t recover it in the light
By: JoergR
Topics: 34
Added: 02/27/2009 - 08:59 AM

Hi,
I have discovered a problem with my Logitech Sphere AF, driver 11.7
When I start the cam in the morning with lights on I get a sharp image.
When I turn the lights off and leave for work the cam stays in the dark for half an hour.
After that the autofocus has lost its function even if it gets brighter and brighter over the day.

Theres no way to recover the function remotely (?) only unplugging and reconnecting the cam in bright light helps.

Is there a fix for that (known ?) behaviour or is it a mechanical problem ?

Topics: 73
Added: 02/27/2009 - 09:34 AM

Focus is handled by the Logitech driver, not in AbelCam.

I know of no fix for this problem, although it has been discussed in this forum in the past.
Added: 02/27/2009 - 11:08 AM

Ok, I only hope its no damage of the cam. Will have to look for a workaround, maybe rebooting from remote, I´ll have to think about it...
By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 02/27/2009 - 01:19 PM

My OrbitAFs all have this problem. SSE is correct that the driver is the cause. There is another thread somewhere in which we researched it and talked about it, but I am not sure which thread it was.

My solution? I went into Device Driver options and turned Auto Focus OFF. Then I dragged the Focus slider to 0. 0 is the "infinity" setting (not 255). Unless your cam is looking at things that are <1 meter away, this setting will provide excellent focus.

ALSO... there is now an 11.8 driver that is included on CD with all new cams. I have it, but I have not experimented with the AutoFocus in 11.8 - maybe it is fixed. You can probably get a copy from Logitech's web site.
Added: 02/27/2009 - 01:58 PM

I already have 11.8 on my gaming machine but for XPx64.
Before I try to test with that PC i must find a way to safely reproduce the error on my Laptop with 11.7.

The problem is that I use my cam very often in the dark auto-focused on infinity without loosing focus or more precise: without focus being frozen on 20cm Distance. Still don´t know exactly under what conditions that happens.

Actually today I started the cam with lights on and correct focus around 3m distance. Turning lights off afterwards for me doesn´t seem so different from day/night change but with the latter I never saw that Problem. Still some testing necessary I think.

Thanks for the autofocus off idea. Already thought about it. Will try...