Quick Search:
Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

"Deactivating Cam ... Too much time for capturing one frame"
By: RossM
Topics: 6
Added: 01/08/2009 - 02:03 PM

I had my camera shut down last night on the first night trial basis during a snow storm (its a snowcam)... is there a way to bypass this setting so that it doesnt happen again? We are using this camera as a way of monitoring snow at home while we are away...Huh?
By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 01/09/2009 - 12:05 AM

Well, you could just increase the value of MaxFrameWaitTime in the cam.xml config file. But usually this error doesn't happen for no good reason, so you may want to try to get to the bottom of why the cam is quitting in the first place.

In my experience the most common cause of this error is using non-powered USB hubs and/or long USB cables between the computer and the camera. These things cause power to the camera to be marginal, so the cam intermittently resets itself or quits completely.
Added: 01/09/2009 - 11:43 AM

Thanks MelvinG... I actually saw what I think was your post previously about this and did the increase to 100000/30... I am using a powered hub and just the normal length of cable hardwired to the camera itself... I may make the move to remove it from the hub and see if I can free up a port direct into the computer... see if that makes any sort of difference... it went down again last night...Cry
By: sse
Topics: 73
Added: 01/09/2009 - 12:04 PM

Ross, I don't know what version of AbelCam you're using.

If you don't use the latest version, grab it from the Members Only section.
This new version has three capture interfaces - probably TyCapture will do better than the VideoCapX used in the
2.2.x versions.
Added: 01/09/2009 - 01:18 PM

Ahh... good point there Mr. SSE Smile I've been running TyCapture so long now that I'd forgotten about the problems that can arise when using VideoCapX.

My site has 10 cams - 7 attached directly + 3 on Agents - and I can honestly say the cams work 24/7 for weeks at a time. In fact the only reason they don't work for longer than that is shut down every week or two to install a new AbelCam beta version when released. And I don't have my MaxFrameWaitTime cranked up high either Wink

What I'm saying is that the problem can be solved.

If SSE's suggestion doesn't fix it, it would be useful to tell us what brand/model of cam you have.
Added: 01/09/2009 - 02:46 PM

Thanks guys... actually running 2.2.5 I believe... I will try and grab and install before I go... trying to get out of here by 9am to head north to the mountains so I am not sure I will have the time... to get it all downloaded and installed.. but going to try...

As per cams I just have one which is an Intel CS430 Pro-Pack 1 camera... running on WinXP Service Pack 3 ... I wont be able to get any more responses till I get back monday night but I will certainly let you both know how it goes.. I will be monitoring it via my LG VX1000 cell phone...
Added: 01/09/2009 - 03:16 PM

OK new issue... same cam.. got it all working but now I cant get up to 640pixel wide images... only 320... help!!!!!!!!!
By: sse
Topics: 73
Added: 01/09/2009 - 03:43 PM

If you don't get the 640x480 resolution with the TyCapture interface try the VisioForge capture interface.

Or delete the cam.xml in the camera configuration folder and try again (remove and readd camera to switch interfaces)
Added: 01/13/2009 - 12:20 AM

Awesome! VisioForge worked... thanks again!!Smile!
Added: 01/13/2009 - 12:27 PM

Ross, good to hear it's working! Smile

For others who may read this thread, this right here is one reason why there are 3 capture interface choices in recent releases of AbelCam. There are so many different cams out there to choose from, and some are more compatible than others. There is often more than one "right way" to capture video from the (supposedly) standard and compatible drivers they come with. But not all cams fully support all "right" methods of capture and/or all "standard" video modes and features.

VideoCapX, VisioForge and TyCapture capture interfaces all do the same job but each does it using slightly different methods. Thus a cam that doesn't work with one interface will probably work with a different interface. Also, many brands of cams will work with all interfaces but will run more efficiently (lower CPU) with whichever interface is the "best match".
By: DivinoG
Topics: 0
Added: 06/03/2009 - 08:28 AM

I'm trying to change SelfCheck parameters (10 minute intervals, 6 times), I use File-Save menù buth when I close the program it delete my parameters (0 intervals and 0 restarts).

What's wrong?