Quick Search:
Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

Multiple USB Cameras
By: AndrewB
Topics: 0
Added: 11/07/2008 - 07:24 PM

I'd like to be able to use AbelCam for multiple USB cameras (once I purchase a license), if this is possible. At the moment I've been trying to use several pieces of free software at once to handle the three USB cameras, however as in other software two of these cameras appear behind the cloak of the Microsoft WDM Image Capture device, you can only seem to run one at once. As the free AbelCam license only handles one camera at a time I've not been able to test whether or not it gets around this issue. Can anyone confirm this for multiple cameras which appear behind Microsoft's WDM name?

I did try running one other piece of software alongside AbelCam free, and as AbelCam couldn't connect to the second WDM camera after the first program had connected to the first one I was lead to believe AbelCam wouldn't solve the problem and be able to run all of the cameras at once.

Sorry if that's at all unclear, hopefully someone can help.

Cheers
By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 11/08/2008 - 03:16 AM

Andrew,

I can not speak from personal experience about cams that appear as "Microsoft WDM". None of my cams show up with that exact name.

However... I have 3 identical Logitech cams, they all show up as "Orbit/Sphere AF", and AbelCam sorts them out correctly. It appends "-1", "-2", and so on, to give each cam a unique ID. All 3 cams run at the same time with no conflicts or issues.

Also I have 3 TV/Analog Capture cards (KWorld brand) in my machine - all if them appear as "Conexant 2388x Capture Device". They also work simultaneously with AbelCam.

And, although I'm not using them anymore, I have in the past used several DV camcorder devices ("Microsoft DV Camcorder or VCR" in device manager) at the same time with no problems.

If you want to see my setup working, go to the Cameras (cam list) page on this site and then select the link for the "Control Stuff" webcam site.

Question for you: if you run a single instance of a bare-bones utility such as AmCap, what shows up in its list of capture devices - one cam or two?