Quick Search:
Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

Red Hat 9
By: Peter
Topics: 49
Added: 08/13/2008 - 05:40 PM

Hi there please can you tell me if the cam software would work on an REDHAT 9 server
Cool!Cool!Cool!Cool!Cool!Cool!
By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 08/13/2008 - 06:31 PM

Short answer: no.

Long answer: maybe. I'm not real involved in what's going on with Linux these days, but I have read on other forums about how people are making all sorts of Win32 apps work on that platform by using emulators such as Wine. I have no idea whether .NET based apps like AbelCam will run under Wine Emulation. There are sure to be camera dirver issues as well, but here again I have read elsewhere about people running Orbits on Redhat and other Un*x boxes.

I think you need to do some serious searching of Linux related sites to get a real answer to this! If you do make it work, I'd like to hear about it.
By: sse
Topics: 73
Added: 08/13/2008 - 08:32 PM

If you use your Redhat 9 server as a XEN platform, you may install Windows XP on it.
As far as my linux experience ( more than 15 years of intensive linux administration Tongue ) goes,
this is the only way to get AbelCam running on Linux - Wine and other emulators are not going to help Undecided
By: Peter
Topics: 49
Added: 08/13/2008 - 09:12 PM

Hi how do i install windows Xp onto Red hat 9

from peter
By: sse
Topics: 73
Added: 08/13/2008 - 09:16 PM

Peter, this is handled in the XEN FAQs - it's not trivial, but possible.
By: AndrewG
Topics: 172
Added: 08/15/2008 - 12:37 AM

I know nothing but thought I'd added something to this. I run, Liunx (Centos x2 and fedora) on my Windows server. Perhaps you could do it the other way around? See http://www.vmware.com/download/server/.
Andrew