Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

Webcam for internet microscope. local host problem
By: AnthonyY
Topics: 0
Added: 07/29/2008 - 04:59 PM

Hi
I am trying to develop a system where students can operate a microscope remotly and take pictures of what they see.I have attached a simple webcam to a microscope and using able cam I hope to be able to broadcast the image over the internet for students to view.
Yestersday I managed to view what the webcam was seeing on the server computer on localhost:8080. today however the browser gives me the following message:
"The connection was refused when attempting to contact localhost:8080."
Is this an AbelCam problem? should I try reinstalling the software?

I am on a universikty network so so getting the webcam image will not be as straight forward in that I will need the system administrator to gain accsess to the port but I will cross that bridge when I come to it.

At the moment I need to resolve the issue of viewing the image on my computer.

Do you have any suggestions?
thanks for your help
Anthony
By: AnthonyY
Topics: 0
Added: 08/06/2008 - 11:20 AM

Im probably going to use servo motors with a data aquisition card probably using National Instruments hardware and LabView.

I will be interested to se the developments of abelcam that are to come.

I wanted to ask is ther a way of reducing the size of the image to smaller than the 160x120 in the configurable stream?
the reason is that at the moment working from the computer in my office (the server) there is a 2second delay when I have it set to 3fps. this might be a little bit too long when you are trying to focus a microscope as it will probably overshoot because of the delay. Im thinking if I uses a very small image the deleay wont be as long and this will make it easier to focus. once focused you could swich to a larger image for a screen capture or yse the image option.
By: sse
Topics: 73
Added: 08/06/2008 - 11:50 AM

Hello Antony,

all jpegs and motion jpegs can be resized using parameters.
See WebCam Size Documentation
By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 08/08/2008 - 03:11 PM

2 second delay? That doesn't seem right. Even on my most loaded down machine (8 cams, 6 of them "local", all 4 FPS at 320x240) the delay is more on the order of 0.25 seconds camera to browser (eg. one frame lag) I use MJPG + Java to stream, not sure what lag I would see if I were to use JPG + Javascript instead.

So you might want to look beyond image size to get to the root of the problem...

How's your CPU load look?

Do you have a bunch of stuff besides your camera on your USB bus? I mean "smart" devices - instruments, other cams, etc. - not "lightweight" devices like a keyboard & mouse. (I'm assuming here that your cam is on USB - not on an analog video capture card)