Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

Webcam for internet microscope. local host problem
By: AnthonyY
Topics: 0
Added: 07/29/2008 - 04:59 PM

Hi
I am trying to develop a system where students can operate a microscope remotly and take pictures of what they see.I have attached a simple webcam to a microscope and using able cam I hope to be able to broadcast the image over the internet for students to view.
Yestersday I managed to view what the webcam was seeing on the server computer on localhost:8080. today however the browser gives me the following message:
"The connection was refused when attempting to contact localhost:8080."
Is this an AbelCam problem? should I try reinstalling the software?

I am on a universikty network so so getting the webcam image will not be as straight forward in that I will need the system administrator to gain accsess to the port but I will cross that bridge when I come to it.

At the moment I need to resolve the issue of viewing the image on my computer.

Do you have any suggestions?
thanks for your help
Anthony
By: JohnMy
Topics: 30
Added: 07/30/2008 - 06:53 AM

localhost only works when you on the actual server machine. If you want to view the webcam form some other machine on a local network the address will be the local machine name or its IP address :8080. If its on a remote network and the server is connected via a router and has a NAT private network address like 192.xxx.xxx.xxx the Router needs to be configured to forward port 8080 the the ablecam server 192.xxx.xxx.xxx address.
By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 07/30/2008 - 09:07 AM

"The connection was refused..." could also have to do with Windows Firewall (or other software firewalls) on the server computer. Maybe you need to teach (re-teach?) it to allow 8080 to get through.

The part I'm not clear on here is whether the terms "my computer" and "server computer" in your post refer the same machine or 2 different ones. If the things John & I have mentioned don't solve the problem, first thing you should do is post a clarification so we have a better idea of your setup.
Added: 07/30/2008 - 01:40 PM

thanks for your replys and sorry for not being very clear.
In both cases I was refering to the the computer that is connected to the camera and has the software installed on it. It is the PC I have in my office.

I'll try to give you a better description of my setup.

the webcam is connected to a pc in my office with the Abelcam software on it.
this computer is connected to the internet via the univerity network (so from what you say I will probably need to ask my system administrator to forward port 8080 to the abelcam server)

Now on the 28/07/08 I had the webcam running and I could see what the webcam could see on the pc in my office at localhost:8080. When I tried to acess the webcam on a different computer it didnt work (for the reason John mentioned)

On the 29/07/08 I was going to try and sortout this port forwarding with my system administrator but found that I could not acsess localhost:8080 from the pc in my office.(the connection was refused)

Melvin could you tell me how to re-teach the windows firewall to allow 8080 please? I use Zone Alarm firewall on my personal PC at home so I'm at a bit of a loss when it comes to the windows one.

Thanks for your help guys!
Added: 07/30/2008 - 05:45 PM

Ok I found where the firewall is it already had the abelcam thin enabled.
I tried switching off the firewall completely but again when I click on test to go to localhost:8080 it gives me the same message.

I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the program but it didn't make any difference.

by the way that connection refused message was on a firfox browzer I also tried IE and it gave me the typical page cannot be desplaied message.

Any Ideas?

Thanks, Anthony

By: sse
Topics: 73
Added: 07/30/2008 - 10:16 PM

Anthony,
the problem might be simple - make sure the web server is enabled.
See the Web Help Page

Using Windows only, you may verify if the port selected is opened. Do Start/Run/cmd
in the command window type netstat -an

You should see the port you selected listed.
Added: 07/31/2008 - 12:03 PM

Tanks for the advice SSE

the webserver was enabled.

I tried the netstat thing and couldnt see port 8080

there was an 808 though.
I then chenke the program and sat that I had 808 as the server port.
I had to change it to 8080 save close able cam and reopen it in order for it to work.

It's annoying how something this trivial basicly a '0' managed to staop me in my tracks.

Ok so now I can see the image on the computer in my office (the webcam server machine) the next step is to be able to see it from any computer connected to the internet.

As I have said I am on a university network and will need to sort out the port forwarding with the system administrator.
I don't entirly understand everything in johnMy's post specifically where can i find the IP adresses mentioned and what information will be needed to forward port 8080.

thankyou very much for your help
Added: 07/31/2008 - 01:41 PM

Agreed that you need your System Admin to sort out the Internet side of this. If your network uses IP addresses that are assigned by DHCP, be sure to ask the Admin to set your server computer up with a static IP. If the server's IP is changing, the Port Forwarding that you'll be asking for won't "stick" (unless the router can be set up to forward to a port at a Hostname rather than a port at a specific IP).

For now, if you want to try viewing your cam from other computers that are on your local subnet, do this:

1) Find out your server's IP. Start -> Run cmd
Then at the prompt: ipconfig

For now, let's say your IP is found to be 192.168.0.50

2) From another machine on the local subnet, browse to:
192.168.0.50:8080/index.html

That should do it. But only for machines on your local subnet (eg. 192.168.0.xxx IP addresses)

As far as Internet setup, that's rather easy too - if you're the the guy that has access to the router configs!

1) Pick a port on the outside (Internet side) of the router. Let's pick Port 8888 for now.

2) Set router to forward Outside Port 8888 to Port 8080 on IP 192.168.0.50 on the inside.

All set. Now pretending that your outside URL is www.bio.school.edu, you would direct your visitors to browse to:

www.bio.school.edu:8888/index.html

Once you get it all sorted and running I hope you either post the real URL here or send it to me privately in a PM. I don't think I've ever seen an online microscope camera before and I would like to check it out.
By: JohnMy
Topics: 30
Added: 07/31/2008 - 11:47 PM

You also do not need to use port 8080. Many ISP like mine block that port as well as port 80. They don't you the customers to run Web server unless the pay them for a the privilege. I use My Abelcam license when I'm taking care of my grandson. I do not consider some occasional 200k stream of traffic abuse on these days. So I use some other port. My IP address can not be resolved by name on any name server. I either have to send my son my current IP address or a way to get it or list my server on the Abelcam site. I see no reason to pay for a commercial account my ISP may see it differently. So far they have not complained about my network use or capped my service in any way.
Added: 08/05/2008 - 01:29 PM

Hi
Just to keep you updated I have talked with my system administrator and for mow we will make it acsessible from computers on the departmental network because it is quite a lengthy process to be granted access on the university network let alone the wider internet.
We decided it is best to leave this until we have a working product.

Appart from the camera feed the student will have ot be able to focus and pan the microscope and be able to change specimens. I have a long way to go yet with this. For now I will be using able cam to test what I am doing.

By the way Melvin I am looking at metalurgical specimens which I guess are not as interesting as biological wones but none the less I will let you know when I have it working.

Thanks
Anthony
Added: 08/05/2008 - 05:32 PM

Thanks for the update Anthony. Sorry I just assumed you were a biologist - no offence intended! Cool! It's no big deal to me what sort of specimens are involved - I'm just intrigued by the idea of an online 'scope camera.

I don't know what your plan is for controlling the actuators for focus, stage movement, etc. But you may want to check here from time to time because there are some new AbelCam features in the works that you might find useful. Features to simplify the job of controlling "real-world" I/O devices from a web browser. Might save you the trouble of custom-coding an interface to your actuators. It's not ready for immediate release, but stay tuned....