Quick Search:
Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

Bug: Resolution won't change after turning off Video Server
By: JavierG
Topics: 5
Added: 07/11/2008 - 07:35 PM

When I enable the Video Server, I see that the quality of the image for the standard web server pages is degraded to whatever the WMV profile will need. However, when I disable the video server, I cannot revert back to the image resolution/quality that is set in the size/output settings.

Switching input resolutions in the camera settings does nothing. The quality will stay the same as what the WMV profile changed it to when the Video Server was turned on. The only way to fix this is to restart the entire application with the Video Server turned off.

This is pain because I only turn on the video server occasionally since it degrades the image quality in the standard web interface. I usually have the input at high resolution and once I turn off the Video server I also have to restart the entire application to get the HD quality back for the standard web view.

P.S. I love your app. It is leaps and bounds over any other webcam server app I've ever used.
Added: 07/11/2008 - 07:40 PM

Submitted this to the issues section.
By: JohnMy
Topics: 30
Added: 07/12/2008 - 05:22 AM

After you stop the video server do a save, Then stop the Webcam then start the Webcam. If that does not work remove the webcam and the add the web cam all your setting will still be set and the video should be back to the higher resolution. Melvin does not have the problem with his creative webcam his WMV stream is high resolution also.
By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 07/12/2008 - 07:35 AM

Nothing much I can add to what John posted. I've tinkered with WMV server settings a whole lot recently and all I can really say is that (as it stands today at least) WMV is "fiddly" and there are quality compromises. Persistent experimentation with cams and profiles will usually result in finding a good trade-off config but it can be time consuming.

WMV is presently tied to the "VCX" capture engine. I know SSE is working on getting WMV working on the "VF" engine, which should give us WMV streaming that doesn't degrade the jpg/mjpg capture. But that's in the future, although probably the not-so-distant future.
Added: 07/12/2008 - 05:01 PM

Sweet. I can't wait for that feature as I love to be able to connect and see streaming video, but the quality just goes down way too much for the jpg capture.

I've tried using the highest bandwidth profiles and they still look worse than 640x480. I know nothing can be done about that. If the quality of the jpeg's can stay independent of the wmv profile, that would be perfect!
Added: 07/12/2008 - 05:01 PM

Thank you for the replies John and Melvin.