AbelCam Forum
Download AbelCam buy Pro

Welcome Anonymous User
05/02/2024 - 08:40 PM
Quick Search:
Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

how to get cam online for people to see???
By: CatteryH
Topics: 0
Added: 06/07/2008 - 12:52 AM

Hi,

Maybe stupid question but i do not know how it works.

installation was good.

in de title my question....

helpHuh?

thanks in advance.....
By: JohnMy
Topics: 30
Added: 06/08/2008 - 03:53 AM

You have to make your AbelCam web server accessible to all. You should first check the contract you have with your ISP. It may have a restriction that does not allow you to run a server on their network. Many ISP block ports 80 and 8080 calming that it to protect you from attack for these ports are often used to attack machines. The truth is they do not want you to run a server on their network without paying for the privilege. If it is allowable for you to run a server. You must open the ports make them usable and known to you audience. You should be running a firewall on your machine to help protect yourself. If you have a private network at home you have a router/gateway like a Linksys, Netgear, Dlink etc. These routers also have built in firewall to some extent. They block unsolicited request from the outside Internet. So you need to setup firewall rules to allow AbelCam to use the ports. You need to set your hardware router not prevent unsolicited request and to forward the ports to the correct local machine. You need to have the same IP address all the time or provide some way that your current dynamic IP address will be resolved some how. It is a bit complex but not all that hard to do. Since you asked the question you need to read up some on networking and learn how to configure the hardware and software you running. What you have to do is the same in all cases however the user interface is not standard there software and device related.

By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 06/08/2008 - 08:59 AM

Well said, John. I want to add just a couple things:

1) Here's a site that provides general information as well as some brand-specific FAQs about port forwarding and other router setup subjects. http://portforward.com/ Good place to start.

2) If your ISP blocks 80 and 8080 like mine does, run on an unusual port like, for example, 13331. Doing this may violate your ISP's Terms of Service since as John pointed out they want to sell you a "business" connection if you want to run a server. Having said that, I've been running AbelCam on an unusual port for a long time and nothing terrible has happened to me Wink

By: AndrewG
Topics: 172
Added: 06/10/2008 - 12:16 AM

3 Step Guide should also help you on your way. Port forward as Mevlin says is a good place start.