Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

.NET security problem?
By: BrianG
Topics: 10
Added: 04/21/2008 - 10:41 AM

Hi

I've just upgraded to the latest 2.2.3 and get the following message when running Abelcam:

"AbelCam attempted to perform an operation not allowed by the security policy"

I have tried a full uninstall (including license & config data) and re-installed from fresh. I am the Administrator of the machine, which has all updates applied. I have not been playimg around at all with security policies or .NET (as I don't know how to!)

Can anyone help? Thanks
Brian

By: sse
Topics: 73
Added: 04/21/2008 - 11:25 AM

Hello Brian

I have never seen such an error message with AbelCam.
Does your network use a server?
Maybe there are AD policies overriding default security policies?
Added: 04/21/2008 - 01:55 PM

Hi
No there is no server; and this machine is plugged straight into the router. I wonder if a Windows Update has changed some security settings. I don't really know where to start with this one! I have Googled the error message but I do not understand the answersCry

Maybe I will try uninstalling / reinstall all of MS .Net, then see what happens

Unless anyone has any other ideas?? Huh?

Brian
By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 04/21/2008 - 06:25 PM

Not sure if this will be useful to you or not. I have installed literally 100+ different beta or development pre-releases of AbelCam over the years and never have I seen that particular error. When I have encountered some .NET error with AbelCam it has always cleared up when I totally removed and then reinstalled .NET framework 2.0 (plus the various patches for it that Windows Update has).

Also, FWIW, just last Friday I installed 46 patches for XP and .NET (obviously I don't run Automatic Updates - lol) and my AbelCam is still working fine. I am running the latest development pre-release from the Issue Tracker.

I am rather curious about those 2 red X things above the User and License button in your screen shot. Did you draw those on the screen shot or is that how it actually looks when you run AbelCam??? I have never seen any red X in those locations - there are supposed to be links there to your Program and Config folders.
Added: 04/21/2008 - 09:42 PM

Hi Melvin
Thanks for your response - Those red X are really there! They also appeared over the "Test1" "Test2" and "Test3" links. The crosses have gone but the links don't work!

I don't run Automatic update either; but all the patches & updates are installed

I am on my third uninstall / reinstall cycle at the moment (including a full cleardown using Aaron Stebner's cleanup tool) and I still cannot get AbelCam installed properly.

Brian

Added: 04/21/2008 - 10:35 PM

From your previous post I can't figure out if you are uninstalling/reinstalling .NET Framework or just AbelCam. If you haven't un/reinstalled .NET I strongly encourage you to do so.

I can't spend all day on this, but I did take a fast look at some online .NET resources. What I think is happening is that somehow your .NET Framework security settings have gotten messed up. An un/reinstall of .NET would probably fix it. If not, you can access the .NET Config Tool from either the Control Panel or Start->Programs->Administrative Tools (depending on Windoze version). If you look under Runtime Security Policy there should be an option to Reset All Policy Levels. That seems like it should fix it, since AbelCam is not having this problem on my system and all my Policy Levels are at their default settings.

Edited to add:

Regarding the red crosses. Those "crossed-out" controls are links to locations on your filesystem. When the controls are generated AbelCam needs to read your registry to determine where precisely the links point on your particular setup. Since .NET is denying read access to the registry, control creation can't succeed. Hence the cross-outs. Or so it would appear... I am not the developer of the code so I can only speculate.
Added: 04/22/2008 - 12:53 AM

Hi Melvin
Yes I'm doing full uninstall/reinstalls of all .net versions (and clearing out any left over rubbish using the cleanup tool I mentioned)

I have just been thrashing round in the .NET config Tool and found the option to reset all policy levels. It has not made any difference.

It's time for bed now - tomorrow I shall do one more uninstall / reinstall of .NET ; I'll also do a clearout of the registry and look for any remmaining AbelCam references before I reinstall it

Thanks again for your help
Brian
Added: 04/22/2008 - 06:54 AM

Just noticed your location - we are 8 hours apart. Here are a few more random thoughts for you to consider when you get up...

How many different .NET frameworks are on your system? I see that I have 1.1 and 2.0 installed here, but I have not installed 3.0. I have no idea what effect the presence of 3.0 might have on AbelCam. But if you have several .NET versions it would seem worthwhile to reset policies on all of them.

I'm not sure if AbelCam needs 1.1 to be present if 2.0 is installed. At some point in the past AbelCam did need both, but that was a while ago. SSE is the only one who can answer this with any certainty.

Just so I'm clear on things: in your original post you say you upgraded to 2.2.3. Can I take that to mean you had an earlier version and it did not have this problem?

Finally, if you are up for some tinkering you might try installing the very preliminary AbelCam 2.3.1 (HERE) and see if anything different happens (I rather doubt it will help but might be interesting to try).
Added: 04/22/2008 - 07:15 PM

Another day.....

Uninstalled all .NET versions (1.1, 2.0 and 3.0) Then manually hacked out from the registry any remaining references to Logisphere, AbelCam and .NET; removed any directories likewise; then ran a couple of registry cleaners. Then re-installed all .Net versions then Abelcam. No change - still get the error.

Melvin - tried your suggestions, again no improvement. Odd thing at one stage I clicked through a number of these errors and got 5 red X things, all clickable to the correct locations.

I have reset security on .NET 1.1; I don't see any option to do this separately for 2.0??

I think I may just give up soon - have spent far too long on this. It actually does seem to still workUndecided

Brian