Quick Search:
Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

A few basic questions
By: JohnA
Topics: 5
Added: 03/15/2008 - 01:15 AM

I’ve been evaluating the AbelCam Server and so far I like what I see. Just had a few questions I hope someone might help with. I apologize if there have been previously covered in the forum, but I did search the site as best I could for answers.

Hardware wise I have is a fairly new desktop and laptop (XP on both), Linksys WRT54G router, and a MS VX-3000 camera (USB). My objective is to have two cameras running (with the server) and be able to monitor them remotely.

1- Performance: I am seeing a refresh about every second or so (a bit choppy, but watchable). Can this be improved?

How does the “Framerate” value on the Config page impact the performance? It shows up as a choice on the Configurable Stream view (for fps), but is the value on the Config page used in the Java display modes?

I set my “Video Size Input” to 176x144x24,RGB24 and “Picture Quality” to 70. I assume the higher the quality value the slower the refresh. Is there a suggested setting (for best performance) or just trial and error?

2- When I’m viewing remotely, what are the pros/cons of each option (JavaScript Stream/Java Stream/Configurable Stream)? Is one more “reliable”? Does one of the options refresh faster?

3- I would like to add a wireless camera to the configuration. Could anyone recommend a reasonably priced (<$200) camera that they have successfully run with AbleCam?

I saw some 2007 postings about adding wireless PTX support. Any progress here?

How is the performance of the wireless compared to the USB?

4- If I do run two cameras at once, what will the display look like? Will I see both viewed at the same time? Is there an online camera that currently shows what multiple cams would look like (running the standard server)?

Hope I didn’t ask too much at once. Feel free to take your time on the reply! Thanks!
Cheesy
By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 03/16/2008 - 03:28 AM

1- Performance: I am seeing a refresh about every second or so (a bit choppy, but watchable). Can this be improved?

Absolutely. Adjust the configured framerate for optimum performance. A framerate of 5 is a "nice" number in most cases. The higher you set the framerate the more load is put on the CPU (this is primarily caused by the cam's driver working harder, and the size of the CPU hit varies widely between brands of cams). Thus framerate should be tinkered with until you find a good balance between stream quality and CPU load.

How does the “Framerate” value on the Config page impact the performance? It shows up as a choice on the Configurable Stream view (for fps), but is the value on the Config page used in the Java display modes?

Framerate setting has global effects. It sets the rate at which images are captured from the cam (more correctly stated, it sets the frequency at which AbelCam "hits the driver" for fresh images). It also controls the rate at which the JavaScript pages hit the server for fresh frames. It also controls the framerate that the Java applet attemts to run at ("attempts" because high framerates will not necessarily run as specified across every network). And it also plays a role in determining what framerates are offered on the Configurable Stream page.

I set my “Video Size Input” to 176x144x24,RGB24 and “Picture Quality” to 70. I assume the higher the quality value the slower the refresh. Is there a suggested setting (for best performance) or just trial and error?

Picture Quality = compression level. The higher you set the quality, the larger each frame is. This has no real impact on the server's performance. The intent of the setting is to reduce the amount of network bandwith used. Personally I like to set it at 60%. Higher numbers make the frames significantly bigger but not much better looking.

2- When I’m viewing remotely, what are the pros/cons of each option (JavaScript Stream/Java Stream/Configurable Stream)? Is one more “reliable”? Does one of the options refresh faster?

Configurable Stream is the same thing as Java Stream, except that the viewer can control some parameters themselves.

Java Stream: best efficiency, smoothest stream. Works great if your visitors have real Sun Java installed. Doesn't work right with some versions of Micro$oft's Java Virtual Machine.

JavaScript: uses more bandwith than Java stream and can be a bit choppy on a slow connection. Works with pretty much any browser without needing Java or other extras.

3- I would like to add a wireless camera to the configuration. Could anyone recommend a reasonably priced (&lt;$200) camera that they have successfully run with AbleCam?

I saw some 2007 postings about adding wireless PTX support. Any progress here?

How is the performance of the wireless compared to the USB?

Somebody else can answer this better than I can. There are people here who have gotten it working with IP cameras, both wireless and wired. They can tell you more. I do know that there is no PTZ support for any IP cams built into AbelCam at this time. If you understand your IP cam well and have some scripting skills it's possible to work around this limitation.

4- If I do run two cameras at once, what will the display look like? Will I see both viewed at the same time? Is there an online camera that currently shows what multiple cams would look like (running the standard server)?

Look on the CAMERAS PAGE. "Test Site" and "The GeekBox" are multi-cam sites running the standard (included) AbelCam pages. For a look at some custom pages powered by AbelCam see my site ("Control Stuff") and "County Broadband", which are also on the Cameras Page.

Hope I didn’t ask too much at once. Feel free to take your time on the reply! Thanks!

Okay, you owe me 5 minutes of my life now! Tongue Frin
By: JohnA
Topics: 5
Added: 03/17/2008 - 01:59 PM

Melvin - thanks for the info - very useful!

I went to some of the demo sites. When the multicamera (home) mode is displayed it appears that all the screens are still pics taken when the last refresh occurred. So if I select one of the pics at the bottom new snapshots are taken and the selected picture appears at the top. Am I correct that no streaming takes place on this display, and you must then hit one of the "stream" buttons to see that camera streamed?

That "I Am An AbelCam Madman" site is totally wild! I assume it's a custom web page that embeds the java... What are the basics needed to do this type of display?

Still looking for some wireless camera help. Most of the areas I would like to view are away from the PC so I need to go wireless...

Thanks again for the help!
By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 03/17/2008 - 11:26 PM

From JohnA:
Melvin - thanks for the info - very useful!

No problem.

When the multicamera (home) mode is displayed it appears that all the screens are still pics taken when the last refresh occurred. So if I select one of the pics at the bottom new snapshots are taken and the selected picture appears at the top. Am I correct that no streaming takes place on this display, and you must then hit one of the "stream" buttons to see that camera streamed?

Correct on all points. Main Page = still shots, select a cam or refresh the page in the browser to get fresh shot(s).

That "I Am An AbelCam Madman" site is totally wild! I assume it's a custom web page that embeds the java... What are the basics needed to do this type of display?

As far as the video streams and camera controls go, it's fairly simple to do. One approach is to start with one of the pages that are included with AbelCam and modify the appearance to suit your needs. Or design pages fram scratch (as I did) using the AbelCam included pages and the helpfile as guidance for embedding cam stuff. The Java applet - its use and paramaters - are explained pretty well in the helpfile, as are the URLs you need to call to move the PTZ, etc. Feel free to View Source on any of my pages to see how the Java applet and PTZ buttons work. I use an OnClick javascript for my PTZ buttons but all it really does is call an URL. You could do the same thing with a regular link on each button but I used javascript to prevent certain browsers from recording every button click as another entry in the Back button's history. Yeah I'm picky.

That's the basic HTML approach. Personally I use PHP just because it makes life easier with many cams. I really only have one cam page and call it with different values for each cam. Thus I can maintain one file instead of 8 files.

As for the other stuff - lights and so on - I'm using self-written Perl scripts and C programs to do that. They are called up using the AbelCam "Command Feature".