Quick Search:
Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

Can't activate Quickcam Sphere AF
By: DungT
Topics: 3
Added: 03/06/2008 - 09:06 AM

I tried to configure the Quickcam Sphere AF. At the first run, it worked fine (both Cam and PTZ), but at the next start, after initialization, the program just says "....waiting" and gets stuck. After 5-10 minutes, it reports that the cam can't be activeted. I noticed that the small LED on the cam lighted up for few seconds then went off.
After closing the AbelCam, the logitech program still can recognize the cam and work normally.
I'm using the latest AbelCam version and Quickcam driver (11.5) on Windows XP MCE 2005.
I tried to use different USB ports, and reinstall both QC driver and AbelCam, but the result is the same.
What is wrong ?

Thanks,
DungT
By: JoergR
Topics: 34
Added: 07/27/2008 - 05:03 PM

I hope I understand you right that you successfully used drivers-only from logitech cause I already thought about doing exactly that.
Actually I saw that 11.1 Soft doesn´t have motion follow mode, so sooner or later I´ll go back to 11.5 or 11.7 (the latter isn´t supposed to be used for sphere AF from Lgitech's point of view ?!)
Huh? when I chose OS and driver the 11.5 is offered.

To be honest I must say that in the Moment I am happily online and I often close my notebook with suspend to disk.
After wake up everything works fine and I'm instantly back online after wlan is up again ! Great !

By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 07/28/2008 - 02:14 AM

Jörg,

Yes, you understood right: I always use driver-only installation.

I use driver-only because I don't like to install software that I know I will never use - not because of any requirement of AbelCam. Having QuickCam software installed really should not matter, but if it is running (even just in the tray) it could certainly cause problems. These cameras can only have one program at a time using them, so maybe the QuickCam in the tray is kicking AbelCam off?

I don't know why Logi doesn't offer 11.7 driver for AF on their main download page. The last time I bought a new AF, the CD in the box was 11.7. That's how I first learned that 11.7 existed.
Added: 07/29/2008 - 12:44 AM

Hi Melvin,
I am back on 11.7 but again with soft and driver.
Reason is that I use brightness and color correction in Quickcam.
The original picture is a bit colourless.
Now I use Abelcam 2.3.3 and it seems to work fine.
I only had some warning at installation that something was not installed, I ignored it and went on.
I suppose it was related to videocapx and visioforge which I do have to chose when I add a cam. I chose videocapx and it worked.
Maybe this visioforge wasn´t installed, anyway no idea why Ihave to chose there. Seems to be new feature Cheesy

Now I wait for the money to be transferred from germany to switzerland (don´t use paypal) for the pro license.
Obviously the data-cables from bank to bank go via saturn and pluto Frin
Added: 07/29/2008 - 01:00 AM

What I just remember:
when I had these problems I always heard something strange:

Plugging in the USB of my cam I heard the ding-dong twice.
And same thing when unplugging.

Only thing I can say is that I exactly followed the Logitech manual instead of plugging in the cam first.

But: I have a built in cam in my netbook that has been activated via function-key during the whole installation of the Sphere AF.
Maybe this lead to some kind of double install. Obviously everything works better when the built in cam with windows driver is switched off (whatever soft does this, maybe scm (system control manager, it also visualizes brightness of screen and volume of speakers etc.) all the time.

By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 07/30/2008 - 09:23 AM

You could probably walk to Switzerland (and back to Germany) faster than a bank transfer will happen. Laugh

In 2.2.4 VideoCapX is the only capture engine that's included. VisioForge is new and it's actually better (uses less CPU & memory) than VideoCapX. It is the best choice if you are doing JPG or MJPG streaming. But if you are streaming Windows Media you have to use VideoCapX (for now).

In the AbelCam camera configuration form you will see 2 buttons labelled "Source" and "Format". If you click "Source" while the camera is running, you should be able to access all the same color (etc.) controls that Quick Cam exposes.

I have no idea what warning you may have gotten when installing 2.3.3. As long as it's working I guess it doesn't matter.

Edit for clarity: The color (etc.) controls are handled by the driver - QuickCam just provides a user interface to them. The "Source" button in AbelCam performs the same function, by invoking the driver's own controls dialog. So, for color (etc.) adjustment it isn't really necessary to have Quick Cam running (or even installed).
Added: 08/05/2008 - 12:46 PM

Thanks Melvin,
actually I have to say that I still have the effect that when starting Abelcam I get errors while frame capturing.
Removing and adding the cam is a workaround that I could live with.

Now I tried to add the cam with visioforge and what can I say... the problem is gone.
Furthermore some observations:

- Processor load has reduced from 25% to 15% roundabout
- with audio-feedback on, the clicks of abelcam-online-test come much faster
- no more frame capturing errors at all