Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

Extended USB 2 cable ??
By: JackW
Topics: 11
Added: 12/24/2007 - 02:35 PM

Is there a good solution to an extended USB 2 cable? 30+ feet

I have tried a powered USB 2 hub but I still have problems, at times, connecting to my motion camera.
By: AndrewG
Topics: 172
Added: 12/24/2007 - 04:10 PM

You could use something like this the extension is made by RJ45 cable and not by USB. You might just make 15meters if you used a USB repeater though the first option might be the better one.
By: JackW
Topics: 11
Added: 04/05/2008 - 04:46 PM

Finally found the best and cheapest solution:
USB 2.0 Active Extension Cable
http://www.nulime.com/USB-2-0-Active-Extension-Cable/p209996
Frin
By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 04/06/2008 - 11:23 AM

Thanks for posting that follow-up info Jack! I have all sorts of extenders and powered hubs kicking around here but like you say, they don't always work 100%. Every time I move a cam it seems like I spend an hour messing with cables and hubs looking for a combination that works without power or signal problems. Think I might just order some of those extenders you linked and see how they work out here.
By: StevenO
Topics: 13
Added: 04/06/2008 - 02:04 PM

I use several of the extenders that use ethernet cable. Try an ebay search using the terms "USB EXTENSION CABLE OVER" and you will see them. Mixed results with AbelCam but very good results with other programs. I have one camera about 75' away and another that is about 125' from the computer.
By: JohnWi
Topics: 1
Added: 07/15/2008 - 12:22 PM

I also had the same issue. Interestingly the cameras that worked best on a USB extension cable were the el-cheapo ones. The more expensive ones drew too much power. I finally settled on the USB Ethernet CAT5 extender combination. I had problems with a 20m Ethernet cable (but no problems with a 5m length which was really all I needed). I could (almost) get a cheap camera to work at the 20m limit, but the flicker was just too much to be viewable. The shorter length now means I've been able to upgrade my camera, giving a much better image quality.