Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

driver jam / debugger
By: JanneP
Topics: 6
Added: 12/12/2007 - 10:44 PM

Hello

I have a old pc running win2000 with abelcam 2.2.2 and a old logitech messenger cam connected to it at the moment ( still testing, will be some better cam). I remote control the
other pc over a gprs/edge/3g modem (online all the time). About once / day or 2
(varies) abelcam seems to loose contact to the cam and the abelcam icon
stays down in the bar active but i cant close it, saids its bein debugged or something else. It also jams the pc if i try to remoteBoot it and it never goes
down so i have to travel there and do a coldboot. Any ideas why it looses contact ? Should i put event log etc to disabled or some other service, so i could stop|start abelcam over the internet? Otherwise all works fine.
could it be the logitech driver that is unstable ?
Thanks
By: AndrewG
Topics: 172
Added: 12/12/2007 - 11:08 PM

Which logitech camera and driver are you using?
Under the web tab you could check Write Debug File and then send the log file off to support. You might get a more in depth response than can be given on the forums.
Andrew
By: JanneP
Topics: 6
Added: 12/13/2007 - 11:04 AM

Ok thanks Andrew, will do that. Its jammed now so il drive there some day and reboot + check it Cheesy
By: StevenO
Topics: 13
Added: 01/01/2008 - 11:29 PM

I have somewhat of a similar problem in the driver jamming problem. I have two copies of abelcam, one running on XP SP2 and one on Vista Ultimate. Both machines produce the same problem - if I try to take abelcam down about half the time the program will not quit completely. I try to end the process and it wont allow me too and if I try to reboot the computer will not go completely down and I am forced to hold in the power button to take the computer down the rest of the way. After it has this problem I cannot start up abelcam and connect to the camera on the first try. Abelcam reports that is is starting up, inits the camera, and then hangs with a "waiting" for the camera. Again I cannot quit abelcam, cannot end the process, just have to tell the computer to reboot, and then hold in the power button after waiting several minutes for the failed reboot. Next time I start abelcam it will say it had problems when it previously started and do I want to not start the camera. If I do start without the camera and then add it in everything seems to work fine until the next time around.

Both computers are using Logitech Orbit AF cameras, but I played around with a Microsoft VX-6000 and had similar results.

I have noticed that when abelcam gets hung on starting up and says it is waiting for the camera, I can unplug the camera and abelcam will finish starting up, but will give too many errors if I try to plug the camera back in.

To make matters worse (for me) one camera & computer is located several hours away, so I cannot easily force the computer to power off or unplug the USB on the camera without a Looooong drive.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Steven

By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 01/02/2008 - 03:17 AM

Steven, this sort of lock-up is almost always a camera driver issue. 'Almost' meaning I've seen it with a few AbelCam beta releases, but never with an AbelCam version that went to general release (i.e. was posted on the main Download page here).

So let's start with versions. It would be helpful if you could post your AbelCam version number, as well as camera driver version numbers. I'm not sure if driver versions can explain the VX-6000 problem, but with the AF the drivers are definitely a prime suspect.

On my XP SP2 system I have an AF cam with driver 11.1.0.2016 (7/18/2007) working with AbelCam beta release 12/24/2007. It does not exhibit the problem you describe, nor has it done so with any recent AbelCam releases. However, some of the 9.x and 10.x series drivers used to do it frequently (with an Orbit MP cam - not sure those drivers even work with an AF [?])
Added: 01/02/2008 - 03:55 AM

Melvin,

I am using the latest abelcam (2.2.2) and logitech driver (11.5). I just started using both in the past 2-3 weeks. Did not see, but could have overlooked it, a way to download older versions of logitech drivers.
By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 01/02/2008 - 05:53 AM

If you're willing to experiment a little, here's a link to the driver I am using. Works good for me, let's see how it does for you...

ftp://ftp.logitech.com/pub/techsupport/quickcam/qc1110.exe

Oh, BTW - this is the driver version that came with my AF. I guess 11.5 hadn't been released when they made the CD to package with my cam.
Added: 01/12/2008 - 05:44 PM

Melvin,

Thanks for the link. I did try it and it did reduce the number of lock-ups, but did not eliminate them.

In a quest to throw more money at the problem to solve it I have purchased a powered USB hub, a USB over CAT5 extender, and a network controlled power strip. Whew! The hub also improved things like the driver but did not eliminate them, same with the USB extender (which kinda surprised me). The network power strip was the most expensive, and a little extreme to rectify a lock up, but it does the trick. Will only use it if absolutely required to get the computer back up and running.

So far the very best trick I have found is to remove the camera from the main window and press "save configuration" when the program is running fine. Then add the camera back in and not press save configuration. Every time I restart the program I will have to re-add the camera, but the program no longer hangs on start up. Since I have remote control of the desktop (and power now) it is not a problem with re-adding it. If the program has issues while it is running and will not allow me to stop it because of the USB hanging, I can kill the power to the USB hub. If that does not work I can cycle the power to the computer.

I have found that since I changed the driver to the same one you are using, if the computer does hang on reboot because of the USB problem, it will eventually reboot on its own after 20 minutes or so. Next time it happens I will try to give it enough time to eventually go down before I kill the power to it. I do hate crashing the computer if I can avoid it.

Thanks again for the help. If you think of any other suggestions to try, please let me know. The program is great, Stefan has put a lot of good work in to it (and should be proud), so I want to stick with it and work through any problems.

Steven