Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

Motion Detection
By: MikeAl
Topics: 0
Added: 11/10/2007 - 03:51 AM

I am wondering if this is possible:
When motion is detected, it automatically records a video until motion stops, then send me an email to alert me that motion has happned. I currently have motion detection on, and it seems to record a still picture, but it doesn't email me (even though I have the email set up and the 'test' email works fine).
Other than that, i'm really enjoying the AbelCam so far.
By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 11/10/2007 - 07:58 AM

Mike,

I don't personally use motion detection very often, so there's a good chance somebody else will come along and post better answers than mine...

Email on Motion: it works here, BUT there are a few settings you might need to change. The default values are probably good on a production server but they're not very good for testing. 1) In the dialog where you entered your email address & mailserver there's an item "Email only every X hours". Set it to zero for testing. 2) On the Local Save dialog, change "Save Interval in Seconds" to something small like 10 seconds.

Those settings are intended to keep the program from flooding you with emails (and filling up your HDD with saved images) and the defaults do a good job of that. But the defaults are way too conservative to use when testing your setup initially.

Recording Video on Motion: In theory you should be able to go to Video Save dialog, set the "Record Single Frame on Motion" radio button, set the "Keep Recording For X Seconds" value to something >0, select your codecs, and be good to go. BUT... in practice, I just did exactly that on my system and it doesn't work. This may be a bug, or it may be a failure on my part to understand something.

To confirm that it's not a codec problem (you should try this too) I selected the "Record Real Time" radio button and then hit the Start Recording button, let it run for a few seconds and then hit Stop Recording. It did record a video file, so that means the codecs are set up right.

What SEEMS to be happening here is that video recording itself works but triggering the start of recording from motion doesn't. Hmmm. Huh?
Added: 11/12/2007 - 01:31 AM

Yep, I have set the email every hours setting to zero. The recording real time works, and I have it set to record interval every 20 seconds. The recording of video when theirs motion definitely is not working, but to be honest, if it would email me a snapshot ( or even just send me an email) when there is motion, that would be good enough for me. As of now, the motion detection emails aren't working at all.
Added: 11/12/2007 - 02:08 AM

I'm pretty well out of ideas. Looks to me like:

- Your settings are the same as mine.
- Your test emails work.
- Your motion emails don't, yet mine do.

This is probably a pretty dumb question, but do you have Local Save Active checked on the Local Save tab? I'm about 98% sure that if this isn't checked the email on motion feature doesn't operate.

It'll be Monday morning in Switzerland in a few more hours. When SSE gets in to work maybe he can shed more light on this matter than I have.
Added: 11/14/2007 - 06:01 AM

Thank you for your suggestions Melvin.
Yes I have local save checked, and it is in fact saving a snapshot with a timestamp everytime there is motion. It just doesn't email me. Rite now I have the "motion trigger" set to 2 for testing, so it's saving a snapshot quite often. (every time a car drives by). I do see the log message flash by "20:58:21 Sent email to mike.alb...o@removed.edu". I suppose it's possible that it's trying to send too many emails and my isp is stopping them (spam), but that's not likely, as the 'test' email works every time I click the button.
Added: 11/14/2007 - 12:00 PM

It looks to me as if you are doing everything right. That message you see in the logger is interesting. To the best of my knowledge there haven't been any issues reported about logging "sent email" when it doesn't actually send it.

I'm out of ideas. All I can suggest is that you hit the Support link, and email SSE your config files, as detailed on the Support page.

When I tested the email on motion prior to posting my first reply I was using AbelCam 2.2.2 Beta dated 11-9-2007. Not that it should matter... I'm not aware of any changes or fixes to email on motion having been made recently.
By: PaulSi
Added: 03/13/2008 - 08:45 PM

Hello -
I am an absolute novice. Is there ANY way to obtain a VIDEO (avi or wmv) "on motion detection" or otherwise? I tried the options "real time", "record single frame on motion detection" AND "Start Recording" - with almost ALL codecs listed. The answer was INVARIABLE:

"WEBCAM USB-1 Error Can't run graph (8000ffff) when starting Recording video Real Time" - and a list of saved jpeg-s.

I guess all settings ("Local Save" "Video Save" etc) are correct. My webcam is working correctly (capturing, recording etc) with ALL other specific software I tried.

Any idea? Thank you in advance.
By: MattiasL
Added: 04/11/2008 - 10:06 AM

Hi!

I have the same problem as above with recording video (from a D-LINK DCS-900 ip cam)on motion detection. It just wont start. It´s is working to record manually but to act on motion just doesnt work. I have also sent an email to support for this but no answer yet. The software is quite hard on the cpu. It feels like you need a dedicated server if you use more then one camera.

Cheers!

Mattias