Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

Linksys WVC200 PTZ - Network Agent
By: JoshP
Topics: 9
Added: 10/09/2007 - 04:49 AM

Hello,
1) where are the readme files or docs for the network agent?
2) I have a linksys WVC200 PTZ camera which has its own internal web server, works wireless or wired to the network.
I have been trying to figure out how to make the network agent connect to that camera for a few days now. If anyone has any pointers please do post. I have looked at the source output from its web pages with no joy.
Does the network agent allow controls for this camera to be used as with the Logitech Orbits that i have?
I guess i should have tried it before i bought it. Sad
By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 10/10/2007 - 01:50 AM

Well, the source of the cam-generated pages is where I'd be looking too. Somewhere in there, there pretty much has to be a reference to a .jpg file or perhaps a .mjpg stream. Assuming you've already hunted for those things, and not having personal experience with that particular camera, I'll toss out a few random thoughts here:

1) In the HEAD section of the page are there any includes? Included javascript (*.js) files maybe? If so, the "magic" may be in the include file(s). Fetch the include file into your browser and dissect it Smile

2) In the BODY of the page, are there any EMBED or APPLET tags? If so, there's a Java (or something) proprietary "receiver/player" involved that needs to be looked at.

3) Probably redundant here... but maybe you can search up a discussion board or usergroup or something of the sort. Most of us that post on this board know AbelCam better than we know individual cams.

4) If you want, you could save the source of the cam-generated page, zip it up, and send it to me. I can't promise anything more than that I'll look it over. Maybe I can figure it out. I don't want to post my email address here for the spambots to harvest it. I will send it to you in a Personal Message on this board in just a minute.

Regarding the agent...

To MY knowledge (SSE may know different) the docs for the Agent aren't released yet. The Agent is really new and very much a work in progress. Yes, it is stable and functional software, but there remains a lot to be added still. Such as PTZ support for IP cams like yours. It's in the plan, he's working on it, it just isn't done yet.

CORRECTION on 10/10/07:
Originally I wrote - "The current Agent release supports PTZ for the same cams that AbelCAm supports. This I can vouch for personally - I have used my Orbit and my LiveMotion on the Agent and it does PTZ them." That was NOT CORRECT! I have been reminded that the Agent itself does not support ANY PTZ at this time. What I was doing with my PTZ cams was using a second copy of AbelCam as an Agent - big difference!!
end of edit

Before you get too disappointed, I should mention that if you don't already know this, the development cycle for AbelCam & Agent moves pretty fast. I can't give you a release date for docs and IP cam PTZ but based on my past experiences with SSE I think we are likely to see it before year's end.