Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

How to stream WMV 640x480?
By: AlexBa
Topics: 0
Added: 08/29/2007 - 02:07 PM

Hi Stefan!
I have Logitech Orbit and try to stream video with sound at 640x480. But it seems Abelcam always make input resolution for video server 320x240, even if I select WMV profile with input/output resolution 640x480.
If I press Format button BEFORE turning on video server the resolution is 640x480 as I've planned. But when I press Format button AFTER turning on video server it shows me 320x240 and visual checking of streaming video shows it upscaled to 640x480 from 320x240. I'm using latest Logitech drivers. I've tried WebCamXp Pro - it can stream custom profiles WMV files at 640x480 without any problems.
Could tell me how to correct this?
Thank You!
By: sse
Topics: 73
Added: 08/29/2007 - 03:39 PM

Hello Alex

the WMV encoding is all done by microsoft DLLs.
(That's why the media player needs to be installed on the system to enable WMV streaming)

To stream 640x480, use a profile with high bandwidth.
Otherwise the encoder enforces lower resolution and/or frame rate.

I was looking into custom profiles and even started to write some one day, but I never
completed the job.

If you want to provide a few useful profiles (different sizes, frame rates,
with and without audio), I will go ahead and integrate them into AbelCam.
By: AlexBa
Topics: 0
Added: 08/29/2007 - 04:31 PM

Solved. Logitech Sphere can use 640x480 only at 15fps and switches to 320x240 at 25 or 30 fps. I modified one of WMV8 system profiles (set it to 640x480x15, Video Quality 90) and set RGB24 colourspace format in AbelCam. The streaming quality is much better now.
By: sse
Topics: 73
Added: 09/10/2007 - 06:41 PM

Hello Alex,

thank you for solving this problem.

Maybe you can send me the profile you created to I can make it available for others to use?

Stefan
By: WayneB
Topics: 1
Added: 12/13/2007 - 11:14 AM

Alex, How did you modify your WMV8 system profile? I'd like to stream higher than 320x240 also. Thanks!

~Wayne
By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 12/13/2007 - 03:39 PM

I'm not Alex, but I'll tell you what I know on this subject...

The profiles are in files with the extension .prx and their location may vary depending on your setup. A search of your system drive for *.prx should turn up a bunch of them.

They are plain XML files that you could open in Notepad and then read/edit them. It's fairly easy to figure out what items in the XML effect which properties of the stream. This isn't the official MS way of editing profiles but it works. Make a backup of the profiles first though Wink

The other, safer, approach is to download the free Windows Media Encoder 9 software from Microsoft's site. You don't really need the whole Encoder, just the tools that are bundled with it, but they make you take the whole thing. Install it and then look in the Start Menu under All Programs -> Windows Media -> Utilities. You'll find a Profile Editor utility. It allows you to edit your .prx files through a user friendly interface.