Quick Search:
Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

Lost Access to WebCam?
By: IanW
Topics: 5
Added: 08/01/2007 - 10:43 PM

I've been trying to use AbelCam 2.1.x to grab local images at regular intervals on a Windows XP computer, but I keep running into this problem, whether I run it as a service or not...

The trouble is, with the camera taking pictures every 10 seconds, if "Fast User Switching" is used to switch to another user, it stops updating. This happens whether it was the screen saver lock that caused the switch or if the switch happened through user action. I assume the problem is really that the new user login takes control of the WebCam and AbelCam loses control. (Like I said though, service or not).

Is there NO way to get AbelCam exclusive access to the camera and have ALL other users locked out? I just want the images to keep going...

IanW
By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 08/02/2007 - 08:47 AM

I'm hoping SSE can follow up here with a better answer.

My experience has been that anything that involves context switching (locking computer, switching users, some screen savers, anything to do with hitting ctrl-alt-del) is going to cause troubles like you described. I've discussed this a little bit with SSE in the past and his systems don't seem to have as much of a problem with it as mine do. My feeling is that it's more dependant on which cams and drivers you run than it is on AbelCam itself. But frankly I haven't spent a ton of time trying to analyze it. I run on a more or less dedicated box, so I don't actually have to do any of the things that provoke the problem - thus I've just sort of ignored it lately. I realize that's not necessarily an option for everyone.

Let us know what camera(s) and driver(s) versions you are using. Hopefully SSE or somebody else can give you some better advice.
Added: 08/02/2007 - 11:34 PM

Message has been edited, click here to see original content

I have a Logitech Quickcam Orbit USB camera and driver software version 8.4.1.1093. I KNOW it's older, but the newer driver doesn't seem to detect my camera at all during installation and this was the only way to get it to work AT ALL. Running under Windows XP SP2.

I used to have the camera running under Linux, where, once a program opens the Camera Device, no one else can. It's locked. I wish that behaviour held for Windoze...but then how would you share your camera for voice chat?! Roll Eyes

Any technique to lock it for exclusive use by the first opener would be GREAT!

IanW
Added: 08/18/2007 - 03:37 AM

Nobody has an answer for this?

I will admit that I have tried to do some programming that handles Fast User Switching nicely, but it hard.

On the other hand, I don't really want to just let this go. There has to be a solution. Does anyone know where else I can look?

IanW
Added: 09/12/2007 - 05:15 PM

Well, I have to say I'm a little disappointed - both in AbelCam and Windows. It would seem that there is no way to set up a camera to take "continuous" pictures on a machine that actually gets USED by people.

That makes AbelCam useless for me. Sad

Thanks anyway.

Ian
By: sse
Topics: 73
Added: 09/13/2007 - 06:51 PM

Ian, I don't really understand what your problem is.

But I do understand your disappointment with windows - I often feel that way as well Undecided

Maybe Splitcam would help?

By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 09/19/2007 - 10:05 AM

SSE, I think I understand his problem but I have no solution. You and I discussed it before: the whole context-change thing. On my system some screen savers cause the loss of certain cams, and locking the computer (or anything else involving ctl-alt-del) also does. Seems to me that where we left it was that you couldn't reproduce it on your system and furthermore it was only happening on a few users' systems. I haven't pursued it beyond that but IIRC we decided it was an OCX issue, not an AbelCam internal issue. Never figured out what the common "special" thing between my system and the other affected users' systems was either.
Added: 09/27/2007 - 06:34 AM

Well, thanks for pursuing it a little farther. If there's anything I CAN do to help figure out what IS going on, please let me know.

IanW