Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

Video with Sound
By: RoberrtB
Topics: 0
Added: 07/23/2007 - 04:55 PM

Hello AbelCam Brain Trust:

I am currently evaluating AbelCam (thanks, Stefan) with my Lxxx Orbit MP and I think I have it set up correctly for the most part. However, one capability eludes me and that is sound. If I use any of the other web page options besides Windows Media, I get no sound. However, if I use the WMV server, I get sound but lose ptz. Is there I way I can "have it all" {video, sound(-2way preferable)and ptz}?

Thanks,

RB
By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 07/23/2007 - 05:54 PM

AbelCAm serves your video in 3 formats:

- series of JPEG images (as seen in the JavaScript example page)

- MJPEG image stream (as seen in the Java example page)

- WMV stream (as seen in the Windows Media example page)

Of those 3 formats, only WMV is capable of including audio. That's dictated by the formats themselves, not by AbelCam.

So... if you need sound you'll need to work with WMV. In order to get PTZ and WMV on the same page, what I'd suggest is to create a page that is a hybrid of the Java page (use the PTZ control applet, which is called "abelabs") and the WMV page. There's no reason I can think of that the Media Player and the abelabs PTZ applet can't co-exist on a page. Look over the source code of those two example pages and then start cutting and pasting and experimenting.

Here's the catch. WMV streams are always buffered to some extent by the clients' Media Player. Buffering can't be entirely avoided - it's part of the WMV "standard". I believe the built-in default buffering is 5 seconds for Media Player 9 and above. So what that means is that the image on the player is at least 5 seconds behind real-time. Not a big deal when watching a movie or something, but when you start interacting with the camera (e.g. moving the PTZ) the buffer delay is likely to create confusion, since the results of moving the PTZ won't actually be seen for 5 seconds or more. This may well be the reason Stefan didn't make an example page that combines PTZ and WMV.

2-way sound? I'm not aware of any way to do that with AbelCam. That's more a job for videoconferencing or Skype-like software I think.
By: RoberrtB
Topics: 0
Added: 07/25/2007 - 09:25 PM

Thanks for your quick response. My sincerest apologies for not responding sooner. I guess I was looking for a more "turnkey" solution. Oh well, the search goes on...
By: RobertB
Topics: 14
Added: 08/06/2007 - 07:36 PM

Hi MelvinG:

Actually, I'm back. After evaluating several competing packages for features, functionality and stability, I settled on AbelCam and purchased a license. You just can't beat the stability and flexibility and robustness of AbelCam at any price. I just need to get the sound working.

Is there a close example of what you're describing (above) available? I'm no html programmer but, if I have an example, I usually am able to figure it out. For instance, in the Java applet example, there is a descriptor that says "Yourhost:yourip". I know what the ip of the host running AbelCam is, but what is the "yourhost" part; the hostname?

Thanks,

RobertB

By: sse
Topics: 73
Added: 08/06/2007 - 09:27 PM

Hello Robert,

Which page are you referring to?
It's eighter Hostname:Port or Ip:Port, but never hostname:ip...

See a few examples here: AbelCam @ webtruck.org

Click on the live URLs and have a look at the source code.

You can do the same with your installation - open the page in the browser, then look at the source code
and copy what you need.

If you have dynamic IP, you might want to have a look at the Redirector Page

Hope this helped

Wink

Added: 08/06/2007 - 11:32 PM

Hi Stefan:

Thanks. I'll take a look at them.

Insofar as the other question is concerned, that's what I thought. It didn't make sense to me. However, if you go to...http://www.multicamserver.com/en/abelwiki/JavaApplets; that is what it indicates unless my eyes are giving out on me.

I have a static ip so I shouldn't need to visit the redirector page.

Thanks for all your help.

Robert
By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 08/07/2007 - 01:06 AM

Hi Robert,

It's not your eyes Smile Looks like there was a mistake on the Wiki page. I just went and edited it.

Moving right along...

<!-- For MSIE -->
<object id="MediaPlayer" classid="CLSID:22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95" 
    type="video/x-ms-asf" id="MyWMPPlayer" 
    data="mms://YOURHOST:PORT/current0.asx">
<param name="uiMode" value="full" />
<param name="autoStart" value="true" />
<param name="URL" value="/current0.asx" />
<param name="autosize" value="1">
<param name="showstatusbar" value="1">
<param name="showcontrols" value="1">
<param name="showdisplay" value="1">
<param name="Filename" value="mms://YOURHOST:PORT/current0.asx">
<param name="TransparentAtStart" value="false">
<param name="ShowControls" value="true">
<param name="AutoStart" value="true">

<!-- For Firefox & others -->
<embed type="application/x-mplayer2" name="WMPplayer"
pluginspage="http://www.microsoft.com/windows/mediaplayer/en/default.asp"
width="320"
height="305"
transparentatstart="0"
controltype="2"
showcontrols="1"
showdisplay="0"
showstatusbar="1" 
src="mms://YOURHOST:PORT/current0.asx" 
autostart="true" border="0">

</embed>
</object>

This code will put a Win Media Player on your page. I've capitalized YOURHOST:PORT (3 places) to make it easy to see where editing is needed. Capitalization is for clarity - user proper case on the real thing. Also I've assumed that you intend to use Cam 0 (first cam in device list). If that is not the case, change the "0" in "current0.asx" (4 places) to the desired Cam number.
<applet code=abelabs.class width="180" height="125"
archive="abelabs.zip" codebase="/java/applets">
<param name="cam" value="0">
<param name="backcolor" value="248,248,248">
<param name="dotcolor" value="255,128,128">
</applet>
This code will put PTZ controls on your page. Again Cam 0 is assumed.

Combining these two snippets into a coherently laid out page is really a matter of personal preferences. It's a simple excercise in the use of HTML table tags, at most.
Added: 08/07/2007 - 09:11 AM

thank you, Melvin.

Now I know _some_ people are checking out the Wiki Pages - and Members _can_ edit Cheesy
Added: 08/08/2007 - 03:47 PM

Thanks again, Stefan. I'll try this out this weekend. Unfortunately, RL has gotten in the way of my hobbySad

Robert
Added: 08/10/2007 - 11:51 PM

Hi Stefan:

O.K., I'm checking this out now and I have a couple of more questions (naturally).

If I want to use your code example above on my own web site that is served by a different web server on the network but not on the same computer that is running AbelCam, can I do it? If so, do I need to copy the abelabs.zip file over to the wwwroot directory on the non-AbelCam webserver computer? Also, are there any other files I should copy over?

Thanks,

Robert
Added: 08/10/2007 - 11:59 PM

Hello Robert

Java requires that the applet (the zip file) and the data the applet requests comes from the same computer
(unless the applet is signed, but mine are not).

-> you don't need to copy over anything - it wont work.

--> do exactly as Melvin pointed out - it will work Wink