Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

Can't connect to cam online [resolved]
By: BobMa
Topics: 8
Added: 03/19/2007 - 04:51 PM

Hi All,

I hope this is the proper way to go about this. I get this error message when I start the program:

Connection Problem
There was a problem connecting back to you.

Unable to connect to start page http://76.188.14.40:8080
Your ip: 76.188.14.40

If you want to run locally only, uncheck Listed

500 Can t connect to 76.188.14.40:8080 (connect: timeout)

The server will continue trying to connect to you
during the next hour.

Once the problem has been resolved, your camera will be listed
---
I am unable to check the [video server] box from the config tab,
on the main page.

ZoneAlarm is configured to allow access and server to Abelcam.

I can see the cam by connecting locally (192.168.251.199:8080) but not from another computer.
Using HTTP://76.188.14.40:8080, results in a "Page cannot be displayed error"

I am using an old camcorder (Magnavox CVT 325 AV) thru a Dazzle DVC80 video capture device.
Any help will be appreciated ... BIGolBOB
By: AndrewG
Topics: 172
Added: 03/19/2007 - 07:05 PM

Are you using a router? If so thats more than likely the cause try this portforward.com. Can you access the webcam on localhost? or on LAN?
Added: 03/19/2007 - 08:12 PM

I do not have a router, unless the cable modem is considered a router. It is a Motorola SB5120, the cable company tells me there is no firewall, and no ports blocked by this device.

I can see the cam locally, but not from another computer.

Portforward.com, does not list my modem/router, or the logisphere program.

Thanks for the response, OS Windows XP, if that matters, the windows firewall is disabled. ... BIGolBOB
By: AndrewG
Topics: 172
Added: 03/20/2007 - 11:24 PM

If you can see the camera localy that makes it less likly to be a software problem. Maybe your ISP blocks ports. Try useing random ports or you could try turning off zonealram.
Andrew
By: sse
Topics: 73
Added: 03/21/2007 - 07:44 AM

Added some documentation on how to configure access from the internet.
Hope this helps.
Added: 03/24/2007 - 12:10 PM

Is it necessary to buy the license, to make this work?

current ports program shows Abelcam listening on port 8080

AbelCam.exe 3000 TCP 8080 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Listening C:\Program Files\AbelCam\AbelCam.exe AbelCam AbelCam 2.1.0.28384 Seiz System Engineering 3/24/2007 6:36:22 AM BIGOLBOB\BOB
The cam is on now, and I will leave on until 12:00 noon EDST
it is 7:08 A.M. here now.
the cam should be at HTTP://76.188.14.40:8080

Bob
By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 03/24/2007 - 01:02 PM

Bob, I can answer part of your post. No, you don't need to buy the license to solve the problem. All that the license does is remove the 6 hours runtime restriction - other than that, the free version works exactly the same as the licensed version.

I tried accessing your cam and it didn't work - browser just kinda hung up on a blank screen. Looks very much like there's a routing problem on your end to me.

I'm not acquainted with your particular hardware so I can only speak in generalities. Whatever device is performing your NAT routing (stand-alone router, router inside your modem, WinXP connection sharing, or whatever) needs to be taught to forward all Port 8080 traffic from the "outside" (76.188.14.40) to Port 8080 on 192.168.251.199 on the "inside".

If you've already done the above and it still isn't working, your ISP may be blocking 8080 (many do now). If that's what is happening, leave AbelCam's internal port at 8080 but change its external port setting to something obscure like 9191 or something. Then change the port forwarding on the modem/router such that "outside" 9191 is forwarded to "inside" 8080.

Edited later to add: I went Googling for more info on your cable modem and found an article that contained this statement:
The Motorola Surfboard 5120 is a modem and has no ability to forward ports. That is the function of a router.
That tells me you are not going to be able to run AbelCam (or any other server application) successfully with your current setup. I believe the solution is to add a small router (LinkSys, D-Link, etc.) between the modem and the computer.
Added: 03/24/2007 - 04:37 PM

Thank You for the info. I will try all suggestions, but I feel the router will probably be the answer. Being on fixed income, I will get all when possible. I am probably over the time limit already, I must have missed the part about the six hour limit on the free version, that's what happens when you skim the info. Thanks to all for the help. Bob
By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 03/25/2007 - 05:19 AM

Bob,

I agree the router will be the solution. Everything I wrote above, prior to my edit, seems to not apply to the SB-5120. Funny thing is, the SB-5120 obviously does some NAT routing and DHCP, but I guess the catch is that doesn't provide a full set of routing features like port forwarding and triggering and such.

I've been running AbelCam (and its predecessor) here in my house pretty much 24/7 for over a year with no routing troubles once I got it all set up right. My router is a Netgear, it works fine, and it was reltively cheap - about $75 or so I think. The general "signal flow" is Cable to Cable Modem (Motorola Sharkfin) to Router (Netgear) to Switch (Linksys) to 6 computers scattered all over the house. I run several server applications, all using obscure ports on the "outside" to get around the cable co's block on 80 and 8080. Works great... the only flaw is that when the cable IP changes every 6 months or so I have to manually reset a few things.

To clarify about the licenses, the free license lets you run for 6 hours per day for as many days as you want. If you need to run for more than 6 hours per day or want to run more than 1 camera at a time, that's when you should consider buying a Pro license. DETAILS HERE
Added: 03/25/2007 - 02:46 PM

Message has been edited, click here to see original content

Great info Mel. Thank you so much for your interest. I gave away a D-Link 604, a few months ago, it figures. I will pick up a new router soon, and let you know what happens. Thanks again ... BIGolBOB
Added: 08/25/2007 - 06:29 PM

Finally picked up a router, and a pro license, the router did the trick. My cam (WilloCam) is now up and running. Fixed income does slow down improvements a lot. Thanks again for the help, Bob