Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

New Name is out
By: sse
Topics: 73
Added: 02/24/2007 - 05:01 PM

Hi all,

last night I sat with my family at the diner table, and we were discussing names for the software.

I was not very happy with the proposals that were there, so we were looking for other proposals.
My children were very creative, and so was my wife.

We came up with the following story:

Cain Logitech one day had the idea to kill his brother Abel LogiSphere for reasons unknown to us.
Planning a long and cruel murder, Cain put a german professional in charge and was waiting to see a tragic end.

This time, Cain did not succeed and Abel got away with changing hist name to AbelCam.
Over time he had put some distance between him and his family, so he even considered it advantageous to 
have a name which does not tie him to the Logi family...

Later last night I added two more names to the Poll, and here's the final outcome.

There is a big advantage with that new name: as it's at the beginning of the alphabeth, in many software lists it will be listed early.

There is also one drawback: the domain ablecam.com is registered, lets hope they can live with it...

Now I have to change the program to carry the new name, get all those new domain names to run properly for web and mail services, quite a lot to do.

What do you think of the new name?
By: RaW
Topics: 19
Added: 02/26/2007 - 07:10 PM

I agree with most of the previous posters. AbelCam is to close to AbleCam. You will almost certainly end in a name battle you just ended. If I had to choose the name I certainly would not take AbelCam, but it's your product and you'll choose the name.

Looking at all the possible names SeizCam is my favourite. But again you decide.

Regards,
Ron
By: Norman
Topics: 28
Added: 03/04/2007 - 09:26 AM

I'm afraid I'm in the “don't like it” boat here.

I really hate the name. I mean, REALLY hate it. No insult intended here, but it belittles the product and sounds stupid. I could be mistaken, perhaps it makes more sense in German, but from here the perception is meager.

Using the domain name multicamserver.com for your product of a different name is going to cause unnecessary confusion too. Additionally, misspelling "Able" may seem cute, but I don't think it is going to help anything here. It works with some products, but you don’t want to loose customers because they didn’t know to switch the l and e around.

This is all my opinion, so to sum it up- I really think you need a name all to yourself, with no confusion. The key here will be making it catchy, memorable, and recallable (so people can get to the domain, since it is a software product you want them to download from the website- more hits to your site instead of someone else’s!).
By: DennisLa
Topics: 81
Added: 03/05/2007 - 09:07 PM

I dont like Abelcam. My choice would have been some flavor of Multicamxx.

Dennis
Added: 01/26/2009 - 06:08 AM

We just hopped out of the fire Wink

There were some objections in the past against renaming LxxxSphere to AbelCam because the very similar domain name ablecam(.com) was taken.

From today I am the proud owner of the AbleCam.com domain. People who look for ablecam.com or www.ablecam.com will be forwarded to www.abelcam.com

Also, since July 15th AbelCam is a registered trademark in the US - this name is now secured for good.

By: TomP
Topics: 0
Added: 02/27/2009 - 12:10 AM

Hi, Stefan,

had some ideas today:

ARASCaS: Advanced Recognition And surveilance CAmera System
(in case in the future some advanced face recognition routines (code) will be added

COMCAMS: COmplete Multi-CAmera Management System , this one could be red also as: COMunicating CAMeraS

CAMMANS: CAMera MANagement System (Sounds great and simple, like e.g.: Porshce Cayenne)
or even just CAMMAN (without System)

If i'll find out some more, I'll let You know.

Tom

Added: 02/27/2009 - 12:11 AM

Hi, Stefan,

had some ideas today:

(in case in the future some advanced face recognition routines (code) will be added

COMCAMS: COmplete Multi-CAmera Management System , this one could be red also as: COMunicating CAMeraS

CAMMANS: CAMera MANagement System (Sounds great and simple, like e.g.: Porshce Cayenne)

Tom

Added: 02/27/2009 - 12:12 AM

Hi, Stefan,

had some ideas today:

Tom
Added: 02/27/2009 - 05:46 AM

Thank you, Tom
For now I will stick with the name AbelCam.
I see you are creative with names - if I have a new project to name, I will ask you for some ideas!