Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

New Name is out
By: sse
Topics: 73
Added: 02/24/2007 - 05:01 PM

Hi all,

last night I sat with my family at the diner table, and we were discussing names for the software.

I was not very happy with the proposals that were there, so we were looking for other proposals.
My children were very creative, and so was my wife.

We came up with the following story:

Cain Logitech one day had the idea to kill his brother Abel LogiSphere for reasons unknown to us.
Planning a long and cruel murder, Cain put a german professional in charge and was waiting to see a tragic end.

This time, Cain did not succeed and Abel got away with changing hist name to AbelCam.
Over time he had put some distance between him and his family, so he even considered it advantageous to 
have a name which does not tie him to the Logi family...

Later last night I added two more names to the Poll, and here's the final outcome.

There is a big advantage with that new name: as it's at the beginning of the alphabeth, in many software lists it will be listed early.

There is also one drawback: the domain ablecam.com is registered, lets hope they can live with it...

Now I have to change the program to carry the new name, get all those new domain names to run properly for web and mail services, quite a lot to do.

What do you think of the new name?
By: AndriusS
Topics: 1
Added: 02/24/2007 - 05:50 PM

Lets say that AbelCam is much better than LogiSphere and lets keep with it :]
By: AndreL
Topics: 3
Added: 02/24/2007 - 06:09 PM

I love the name (in fact, the geneis of it), BUT I am afraid your are putting yourself at risk again.

AbleCam is really close to AbelCam, and, while they offer a service and you offer a software, they are both in the same "family" of products. AbleCam may not like the idea, threaten to sue you and even do it.

Would they sue? A lot of cost woul be involved. Would they win? Far from sure, but they would have a prima facie, at least under Canadian laws.

My 2 cents..

André
By: AlexB
Topics: 0
Added: 02/24/2007 - 06:10 PM

Hi Stefan,

I think the name AbelCam is ok but I can imagine the owner of abelcam.com has a problem with you taking his name! I would prefer taking a name which is still free so you don't get the same trouble again.

I hope you and your software survive because I really like it! It's your decision.

Good luck!

Greetz
Alex
By: sse
Topics: 73
Added: 02/24/2007 - 06:32 PM

I am sure I will survive - if the name will, we'll see.

My choice might be advantageous to ablecam.com - people are more likely to miss-spell towards able instead of the opposite.

ablecam is a us based company - they are much less likely to come over here and sue me than Logitech, wich are Switzerland based (although the legal action had its roots at Logitech USA).

I am not going to promote the name abelcam.com (although I registered it), I'll use MultiCamServer.com - kinda eat the cake and have it Wink
By: ManfredS
Topics: 20
Added: 02/24/2007 - 06:45 PM

AbelCam and the History is good, But there can be annoyance. I think, better simply and personal seizcam.

All property
Manfred by http://www.angelpage.de
By: BudC
Topics: 8
Added: 02/24/2007 - 08:18 PM

Don’t use a name that is the same as another business, just more problems down the road. Use a name that you can protect for yourself and you alone. You make the name the name does not make you. God Luck.
By: RonaldNi
Added: 02/24/2007 - 10:48 PM

Wouldn't use any name close to another, might get more problems, better play safe..
Personal name should keep the problems in safe distance, also I don't think you should ever give up the domain name of logisphere (well I wouldn't)
By: JeanG
Topics: 18
Added: 02/24/2007 - 11:16 PM

Hi,

I suppose you will perhaps have the same problems with abelcam... ablecam...
I agree with Manfreds, Seizcam is a good idea.

Bye, Jump
By: EllenG
Added: 02/25/2007 - 06:37 PM

Message has been edited, click here to see original content

I'm afraid I have to agree with the previous posters, using a name that's so close to a another one (with only 2 letters transposed, and even pronounced the same) is just asking for trouble.
If you REALLY want to stick with AbelCam, at least get in touch with ablecam.com to make sure they don't have a problem with it. Otherwise, you might find yourself in the same kind of situation you do now with Logitech, once you have established a good reputation with it... Sad
On a side note, I also agree you shouldn't give up the logisphere.org name, at least not without proper financial compensation.

Just my 2 (Euro) cents...

Ellen

[edit] I just checked the ablecam.com site, and they link to a few live webcam sites (presumably as demos of what they have to offer) with features VERY similar to LxxxSphere!

As far as the name SeizCam is concerned, the verb "to seize" (or "seize up") doesn't exactly have positive connotations, so I'm not sure if it would be a good choice.

Anyway, I'll shut up now! Smile!
By: RichardM
Topics: 4
Added: 02/25/2007 - 08:20 PM

Stefan
'Out of the frying pan into the fire' comes immediately to mind.
My first response to you number of days ago was to check that no one else was using the new name you chose; you have came very close indeed too close to an existing name for my support.
You have produced a good product but are blessed with a less than good sense for correct names.
Do you really need to don this 'hair shirt' of a new name or is self flagelationn a hobby of yours.
Do more research and change the name to something unique, perhaps keep the word 'cam' within the name but use your imagination and think again.
Best Regards
Richard