Quick Search:
Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

LxxxSphere Name Change
By: Abel
Topics: 153
Added: 02/19/2007 - 12:46 PM

I have received a letter from an lawyer requesting me to change the name of both the website and the software LogiSphere to something else by 15th of this month.

The key part of their letter goes as follows:

By the name LogiSphere leaned against the product of our client "Logitech Sphere" as well as by the reference to the products of our client in your advertisement they arouse the impression there exists a business connection between our client and their undertake and the products concerned of both parties. This impression does not correspond to the truth. They try on unfair wise to participate on the good reputation which our client acquired itself by her products and the designation logitech sphere.

Looks like I have to use a different name for the software...

As I have missed their dead line already, I might be in trouble...

For a while already I have also used MultiCamXP in connection with LogiSphere - what do you think if I just change to that name?

Or should I use SeizSphere?

Other suggestions?
By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 02/19/2007 - 02:44 PM

I like MultiCamXP best - because it clearly says what the software does. XP might not be so good though. Some day WinXP will be "ancient" - remember NT? Smile

Maybe MultiCamLS? LS would stand for LogiSphere but you wouldn't necessarily tell anybody that - heh!

I think what Logitech is doing is just nasty. If they had bothered to understand what the software is for, they should not be complaining!

I would think you could contest this and probably win (under California law at least - I don't know anything about Swiss law). But you would waste a lot of time and money in the process so it probably isn't worth it. Still, it makes me angry to see them doing this.
By: BriggsD
Topics: 5
Added: 02/19/2007 - 03:00 PM

Definately stick with something with "cam" in the name. This way the product name describes the functionality of the program.
By: StewartL
Topics: 1
Added: 02/19/2007 - 03:53 PM

What is logitechs problem they are having such a joke its not like logisphere is a new thing!!!
By: AndrewG
Topics: 172
Added: 02/19/2007 - 04:05 PM

I wouldn't have bought my sphere if you hadn't made logisphere which means one more sell for logitech. So by changing the name to something not related to the camera. Aren't logitech going to get less sales? Can't think of a new name sorry.
Andrew
By: Real
Topics: 0
Added: 02/19/2007 - 05:45 PM

That's too funny! Is it another case of the "big guy" hammering the "small guy"?? I'll never understand some companies... It's not like your hurting them or anything... Well, something else for me to blog about I guess...

As for the new name, I like the multicamXP name, seeing as you're supporting more than one type of camera anyway...

Keep your head up!!

Cheers!
Real
http://www.yegcam.com
By: RaW
Topics: 19
Added: 02/19/2007 - 06:06 PM

I think you'll have a good chance when you go to court. When the registered LOGI as a mark, they should have investigated if other marks already used LOGI as mark. However going to court will cost a lot of money and Logitech probably has more money to spend on legal action than you have. So I think you should change the name of Logisphere to Multicam or maybe MotionCam Cool!.

I would not use XP as extension because maybe Microsoft will sue you later Frin. Serious. Using XP gives users the idea of a relationship between Logisphere and Windows XP. And now with Vista available a lot of users will step over to this new OS in 1 or 2 years. And I hope Logisphere will last longer than a year or 2.

Now Logisphere services other cams too there is no reason for it to rever to Logitech Sphere in the future.

Maybe you can persuade Logitech to pay a fee for you changing the name of your product without going to court.

Ron
By: KevinD
Topics: 4
Added: 02/19/2007 - 06:12 PM

Unfortunately, I would say to seek a compromise but my guess is that they will use their fortune 500 status (I'm guessing they are anyway..) to bully you into whatever they want. If you ask me, they should make you an offer to buy your product / company and keep you as the head developer / CEO. Heck, why don't you put together a proposal for such a thing and get it to the board over at logitech?

Anyway, I'd hate to see you get all wrapped up in a legal battle with the big bullies.. So, while I normally would be inclined to fight, I'd say that this time it's probably best to turn the other cheek and continue to put out your great product which we all know should sell because Logitech doesn't have anything nearly as cabaple..

Hmm... Name change: What about LOOGISPHERE?

--KTFA
By: Peter
Topics: 49
Added: 02/19/2007 - 06:16 PM

i think it is best to chage the name to an new One as i do`t whot to see sse in any trobl as that would be realy Bad

From peter
By: godfrey
Topics: 13
Added: 02/19/2007 - 06:33 PM

Here's my two cents

Consult a lawyer and see if you even have a chance of keeping the name. No sense in trying to battle it out if you don't have a case.

I do like MelvinG suggestion of MultiCamLS. No one will know what the LS stand for except old-timers of LogiSphere Smile

Lastly, whatever the name becomes, I would consider registering the name. That way you can do the same thing to some other company which Logitech is doing to you. It is also a "cya" (cover your ass), so you can prevent/discourage/etc. this event from happening in the future.
By: JoshP
Topics: 9
Added: 02/19/2007 - 07:06 PM

You dont honestly buy that crap about changing the name do you? Just ignore them because there isnt a damn thing they could possibly do.
i think you should scan the letter from the lawyer, and only black out your name & address maybe - not thiers - and post it. Ignore the lawyer completely - post the scanned letter here - and let people respond directly to them - because there isnt a god damn thing they can do to you.
think man. people dont get threatened by lawyers for making a cool gadget for "iPods" - even if they call it "iPodGadget" = the whole things retarded & i have voiced my opinion.