Quick Search:
Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

Logitech Sphere capturing seizes after a while
By: PatrickA
Topics: 0
Added: 01/18/2007 - 02:06 PM

Sorry this isn't a more qualitative debug report but i've noticed that my Logitech Sphere or LogiSphere program itself stops capturing the cam feed after "a while" (sometimes only after 2 minutes Sad ).

When i mean "stops" the last captured frame is just re-transmitted to the webpage with, however, the timestamp updating as normal implying that LogiSphere is "OK".

Needless to say this makes the LogiSphere web cam software i tad redundant is i have to keep going into the control panel and clicking "CAM" off and on.

At this point in time really hoping that this issue can be addressed soon as otherwise i'd be asking for a refund Cry
By: sse
Topics: 73
Added: 01/18/2007 - 05:50 PM

Please see Members Only section of the site.

The LogiSphere 2.0.8 has a SelfCheck feature to detect capture device malfunction.

By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 01/18/2007 - 06:14 PM

Patrick,

If you are still having problems after updating to 2.0.8, please post a few details for us. I've seen this issue before, but it only seems to pop up in a few isolated cases and there never seems to be much info provided for SSE to work with. Some stuff that might be useful:

1) What O/S are you running? Is it fully patched?

2) Do you run a screensaver? If so, which one? Do you see a relationship between the saver kicking in and the cam freezing? Maybe try disabling the saver for a day and see if the problem goes away.

3) Do use use ctrl-alt-delete on that system to pull up Task Manager or lock the computer or anything? If so, is there a reletionship between hitting ctrl-alt-del and the cam freezing?

4) Which Logitech driver version do you have? 10.0.4 (also called 10.4 by some) is the latest and behaves better than earlier drivers did.

By: PatrickAl
Topics: 1
Added: 01/18/2007 - 07:58 PM

Thanks very much for the quick response and direction in debugging, i can (quickly) confirm that (as the computer is a work computer) when manually locking the station, Win+L (windows xp pro) the feed does indeed stop.

I've tried this a couple of times at appears to be consistent.

Needless to say they might be other instanced (i.e screensaver etc) that this does this too.

With this information, is there any remedy?

(Sorry i'm short on time to submit a version report of all the components!)
By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 01/18/2007 - 11:46 PM

Patrick,

I don't have much to offer right now for solutions. One of my own systems is affected with this problem and I "solved" it for now by disabling the screen saver and not locking the machine. Obviously that's not an ideal solution but since I am just a user of the software that's all I've got to offer.

This problem has been around for some time and what is disturbing is that it only seems to affect a very small percentage of installations. I worked pretty closely with SSE (the developer) for a while on this and despite our efforts the underlying cause is still undetermined. Part of the problem was lack of input from affected users - probably because most users seem to be unaffected. Huh?

It certainly looks like the cam freezing is caused by the context switching that Windows does when certain screen savers kick in and/or certain user actions (ctrl-alt-del, win-L, etc.) take place. This has led to speculation that bugs in some versions of Direct-X are the cause, but to date that's unproven. With that in mind, it may be worth a visit to Windows Update to make sure you have all the latest bits and pieces of Direct-X.