Quick Search:
Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

Output size greater than 320x240
By: JonW
Topics: 3
Added: 01/17/2007 - 05:11 AM

I'm having trouble getting the output size from my video capture card as anything other than 320x240. I have a SAA7130 video capture care that I have a security camera plugged into the video-in port. I can see this using the "honestech TVR" software that came with it in 320x240, 640x480, 720x480 and Full Screen (I have my monitor set at 1280x1024) resolutions. When I use logisphere, though the only option for output is 320x240. If I go into the driver options:format:video format, I can select higher resolutions, but they just zoom in a section of the raw image. I also have a Logitech Quickcam Cordless connected to my computer and logisphere gives the options for output resolutions of 320x240, 352x288, 240x180, 160x120, 176x144, and 640x480 (in that order -- isn't that odd?). How do I set it up to have a higher resolution for my security camera through my video capture card?

As an aside/pipedream, is there anyway for logisphere to be reading the video-in line of my card while I watch cable TV from the coax-in port through a different program?

Jon
By: AndrewG
Topics: 172
Added: 01/17/2007 - 05:59 PM

/current1.jpg?size=zxy Just change z and y to 720x480 for example then go to your your webcam at:
localhost/current1.jpg?size=zxy
Andrew
Added: 01/18/2007 - 12:31 AM

From AndrewG:
/current1.jpg?size=zxy Just change z and y to 720x480 for example then go to your your webcam at:
localhost/current1.jpg?size=zxy
Andrew

I'm a bit of a novice. Where do I enter this information?

Jon
By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 01/20/2007 - 06:17 AM

Jon,

What Andrew meant is to enter that as an URL into your web browser. That will grab a single frame at the specified resolution - 720x480 in his example. If you are looking to get a stream in the browser, use either the Java or JavaScript Web pages that are installed with LogiSphere. Take a look at the page source code - it's commented pretty well and you'll be able to see which lines to edit in order to set the displayed size to whatever you want it to be.

Note that the above will cause LogiSphere to capture at the configured Input Resolution (320x240 I guess, based on what you wrote) and then digitally scale the picture up to size you specify in the URL or page source. Obviously it would be better to get the card to report some higher resolutions to LogiSphere if possible. (LogiSphere lists whatever resolutions the card [well, technically the card's driver] says it offers) Here's where it gets interesting...

I went and did some research on the SAA7130 and found out that it's a chip, not a card. According to the Phillips literature the chip can do as high as 720 pixels per line (probably means 640x480 on an NTSC vid signal, 720x480 on PAL). But that chip is used in a zillion different brands of cards, and they don't all have the same specs. I found some claiming 320x240 raw output, others claiming 640x480 raw. Hmmm. Apparently the the "support" circuitry and the drivers play a part in what the actual raw (real) resolution is.

So I guess I have to wonder... when you are watching in 640x480 in that other software, does it look like you are getting "true" 640x480? Or does it possibly look like 320x240 that's being digitally stretched up to 640x480?

If you can post the exact make and model of your card here, I don't mind doing a bit more research on it to see if we can get this sorted out.

Added: 01/23/2007 - 06:01 AM

Melvin, Thanks for the info and help. My tuner card is a Sabrent SBT-TVFM. Kind of odd -- the box doesn't even say "Sabrent" on it. I realize that this is a really cheap capture card (it's the cheapest that's listed at Pricewatch -- which makes it exactly fit my budget). If you find anyway to change the driver to up the resolution, I'd really appreciate that info. Thanks, again, for the help.

Jon
By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 01/24/2007 - 01:14 AM

I Googled a bit and learned that various people are having various problems with this card while using various software - but nowhere did I find mention of this specific problem. Then I went and dug thru my "extra hardware closet" and found I have Conexant-based and ATI-based TV cards but no Philips-based. Sad

All I can offer are these rather weak suggestions:

1) Make sure you have the latest drivers. I discovered that Sabrent has a "very important WinXP update" posted on there site. LINK HERE

2) Go into Format : Driver Options like you described in your original post. Turn up the resolution like before, but this time when you see the strangely zoomed image try toggling the Use Cam checkbox off and back on. Then have a look at the Video Size Input and Output listboxes to see if the choices have changed. If so... set appropriately. I'm not exactly sure what manually toggling the cam accomplishes, but I have found it to be useful sometimes when I'm messing with drivers.