Quick Search:
Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

High CPU usage with Logitech driver 10.0 [resolved: use new Logitech driver]
By: sse
Topics: 73
Added: 10/16/2006 - 05:31 PM

1) Logitech Orbit/Sphere Driver 10.0 uses 100% CPU on many - but not all - systems.
This is a Logitech issue, not a LogiSphere issue, and is being discussed endlessly on the Logitech support boards.

2) All Orbit/Sphere cams, including MP models, can use 9.5 driver which does not have this problem.
BUT! The very latest cameras (the "08CC" types) MUST use 10.0 driver.

3) The "08CC" camera can be identified by the numbers on the tag on the computer end of the cable:
P/N:861305-0000
PID:LZ626BP

4) Those with the "08CC" camera are "out of luck" with LogiSphere or any other cam software
if they have a machine that experiences the 100% CPU issue with driver 10.0.

They need to complain loudly to Logitech so they will fix their driver - not post about it here. Wink

Many thanks to MelvinG who did the research and provided this information
By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 10/16/2006 - 06:47 PM

I'd just like to add these links for reference:

LOGITECH: Acknowledges Problem (Scroll Down!)

LOGITECH: Users Discussing This Problem

Additional thanks to OlivierB for helping me with this!
Added: 10/29/2006 - 02:26 PM

As posted HERE, Logitech expects to release a fixed driver some time in November.

Thanks again to OlivierB for watching the Logitech forums and keeping me up to date.
Added: 11/16/2006 - 10:08 PM

Update 16 Nov. 2006...

So far no new driver from Logitech. However, a user on the Logitech forum posted a homebrew fix in THIS THREAD. Take a look at the posts by NezorF.

I could not figure out where he found the file on the Logitech download site, so I took the chance of grabbing it from the link to "homeftp.net" that the guy posted. It worked fine for me with no bad surprises.

Since I have an older camera I have stayed with Driver 9.5.0. So, I had to install 10.0 to create the problem here (it did) and then install the "fix file" to correct the problem. Worked great on WinXP SP2 (CPU reduced from 100% to 30%) but failed completely on Win2K. Makes sense... nobody is claiming it will work on Win2K but I wanted to test it anyway.
Added: 11/26/2006 - 01:05 AM

Update 26 Nov 2006...

Logitech has released a new driver that supposedly resolves this issue once and for all. Roll Eyes The driver package is available from Logitech's FTP site RIGHT HERE. Look for "qc1004xxx.exe", where "xxx" represents your language: enu, deu, fra, etc.

Of possible interest, too, is the fact that many of the older drivers are also available on this FTP site.

The talk on the Logitech Forum Thread about this new driver is "mixed". Although I have not personally tested it yet I'm getting the impression this is not a total fix. So "upgrade" at your own peril! Frin
Added: 06/22/2007 - 06:19 AM

Update 22 June 2007...

Sorry I forgot to come back to this thread for so long!

A few months back Logitech released Version 10.5 of the driver. It looks like they have finally fixed the high CPU problem. I have been running this driver version for quite a while now with no issues and <10% CPU usage.