Quick Search:
Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

K8055 Usb Experiment interface board
By: Peter
Topics: 49
Added: 08/24/2006 - 02:04 AM

Hi there Sse i would like to have an thing for an Usb K8055 Usb Experiment interface board
from peter
By: Peter
Topics: 49
Added: 10/29/2006 - 08:43 PM

Hi there Please Can you Tell Me how would I wire any thing Up to This Usb Thing as I Realy Do`t No How To Do it and plus Will this Work with Only Php as You was talking About

From peter
By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 10/30/2006 - 03:43 AM

Peter,

Part of why this is taking me so long is that I'm working out a little program that will run in the System Tray and serve as the "bridge" between LogiSphere and the K8055 - without needing Perl or PHP or other extras to be on the system. My original go at this, that you saw a few weeks ago, needed "extras". That's part of why I was hesitant to start giving it to people - not everybody has or wants all that stuff on their systems.

Regarding the wiring... give me a hint about what you are wanting to wire up please. I can tell you that anything much bigger than an LED needs a relay between it and the card's output. I think the card switches up to 100mA at up to 40VDC. So clearly a relay is needed for anything running on house (mains) current...

Added: 11/02/2006 - 07:18 PM

Okay, the demo page is back up.
It looks the same as before but behind the scenes the code is 100% new. This time it doesn't require anything special on the system to make it work.

I want to see it run for a couple days straight without crashing and then I'll be ready to share with interested people.
By: TommyN
Topics: 7
Added: 11/02/2006 - 09:25 PM

Nice job Melvin, look forward to test the code on my OS and K8055 board..

Tommy
Added: 11/07/2006 - 09:55 AM

Okay folks... get it RIGHT HERE and give it a try. Let me know what all is wrong with it. Cool!

Above Link Updated 25 Feb. 2007 To Point To New Version

Download it and unzip it to a temporary directory. See the readme.pdf for instructions on where to put the files - this is not yet a single-click install but it's pretty easy.

I'll answer questions if you have any, but please make sure you read the readme first! There is good info in there.

The only known issue right now (actually more of a "weakness") is that the program only checks for new cards when it is first started. So make sure all your cards are plugged in and ready before launching vksrv.exe. And if you add a card later you need to stop and re-start vksrv.exe so it will see the new card. Same thing if you remove cards.

Added: 11/07/2006 - 06:58 PM

I try your program Frineverything seems OK, except the load one my USB port it was too high so I disconnected all webcam's, it solve my problem, ( mybee there is a conflict between ptz webcam and K8055?)and how did you link direct to your K8055 from the Logisphere homepage?

I must confess, I grab the missing html file from your test pageRoll Eyes

Tommy
Added: 11/07/2006 - 07:59 PM

Do you mean the Power Load on the port is too high? If you are getting a message saying something like "the port does not have enough power" or "USB hub power exceeded", consider that a USB Port can only supply 500mA of power total. The K8055 card uses 70mA. Cameras use a lot; easily 200 - 300mA each. You may need to hook up a USB Hub that uses an external power supply - that's what I do on my system with 3 cams.

To link direct, adjust the "Cam URL" setting in LogiSphere. Right now it probably looks like "http://servername:8080/index.html". Just change "index.html" to "K8055.html" and it should work.
Added: 11/10/2006 - 04:11 AM

A reminder to be careful - "funny" story...

I think we all realize already that these K8055 cards are not "industrial grade" devices. They have no on-board overcurrent protection and no isolation worth mentioning. They are, therefore, not at all forgiving of mistakes.

I understood the weaknesses of the card from the beginning. I've worked with electronic devices most of my life and I understand them well. I know what I'm doing with this stuff. I still managed to destroy a K8055 earlier today. Filled the room with smelly smoke quite nicely. The output driver chip actually caught fire - yep, flames. Killed the power and blew it out.

The cause: carelessness, plain and simple. All I was doing was connecting a relay to an output. Such an easy thing that I didn't bother to double-check my wiring before turning on the power supply. I was tired and in a hurry - I put the coil wires on the wrong terminal deck of the relay (bottom deck, should have been top deck) and as a result was driving the output into a dead short. So the first time the output turned on... poof. The 5-Amp fuse in the power supply didn't even notice there was a problem - makes sense, since the current needed to blow the power supply fuse would be about 20 times the current needed to smoke the chip.

Since these cards have no isolation, the fault current propagated throughout the circuit, demolishing 3 of the 4 chips in a few miliseconds. Game over - time to order a new card.

My point: always, and especially when dealing with cheap non-industrial devices like these K8055s, inspect your work before energizing a circuit! Anybody can make a dumb mistake - even me! Cool! I'm just happy the fire stayed on the card and didn't set fire to the house.
Added: 11/10/2006 - 03:38 PM

Remenber MelvinG:

Electronic Devices Run on Smoke ... Indeed, you first see smoke, then it stops functioning. (Usually. Sometimes the smoke is delayed.)

Thank you for your warning, and I hope you get a new card soon so you can continue your good work with the software.Frin
Added: 11/13/2006 - 05:13 PM

Yes... letting the smoke out is very bad. LOL Letting the FIRE out is even worse!

Ordered 2 new cards this morning. They should arrive here in 3 days, then I need to put them together. With luck I will be up and running and working on K8055 controls again in a week.