Quick Search:
Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

blink(1) plugin
By: sse
Topics: 73
Added: 01/07/2013 - 05:17 PM

I am considering a new plugin for the blink(1) USB RGB LED status light.

Are there AbelCam users who own a blink(1) and are interested in testing a plugin to control a blink(1) with AbelCam?

By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 01/10/2013 - 03:58 AM

I might be interested... but can you post a short explanation of what the plugin actually does? By reading the blink(1) link I see it being marketed as an "event signal". Will the plugin provide configurable hooks to AbelCam events?

For example, can the plugin be set up to:
- Flash red LED constantly when 1 or more MJPEG streams are being watched
- but ignore hits on JPEGs (e.g. the AbelCam Listing Test)

This would serve as a "you are being watched" indicator, which is just the first use that comes to mind.

EDIT: Just noticed the demo on the cam list page. I guess the idea is to provide a web interface to the blink(1) rather than event hooks? Still think event hooks would be cool though.
By: sse
Topics: 73
Added: 01/14/2013 - 09:23 AM

The plugin provides a interface to the blink(1) hardware to set colors or color sequences.
Requests like

/blink?play=R3:0.2:FF0000:F0.2:00FF00:0.0:000000

will be processed the following order:

repeat 3 times: {
.2s red, fade to green in 0.2s, switch off
}

You have full control of the colors in the blink(1) hardware.
Internally the requests are queued and processed from this queue.

So far one wanted to try the plugin - the blink(1) users probably run linux Undecided

Your idea is certainly interesting, but the current plugin interface to AbelCam does not allow this kind of interaction.
The plugin could use the web log as information source, but that would be a quirky implementation of this hook.

Hooks will have to be part of AbelCam Plugin Interface 2.0 (tm) Wink
By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 01/16/2013 - 07:01 AM

Okay, now I understand. I realize Plugins 1.0 can't do hooks, but I thought maybe you had started working on 2.0 and this new plugin was quietly trying out the new interface.

Actually, providing event hooks might prove to be a slippery slope: no matter how many hooks you provide, somebody will always want one more.

For now I'll think about what I can do with http access to a blink(1) and if I get any great ideas I'll buy the device and install the plugin.